Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone ever cut down a refractor

tom.yates

I am about to cut down a refractor for binoviewing for use without a diagonal (Dont want to use a barlow either) Anyone done this ? The scope in question is a Meade AR5 5" Acromat F 9.3 Any help views,advise would be great

Thanks

Tom

Hi Jamie i need to get it bang on square mate or the colli would be off how did you go about it ????? I dont really want to just get the hacksaw on it I only want to take just enough off the length and know more

Sorry Tom but i did just use a hacksaw on mine.

I did however spend ages marking the tube all the way round the circumference.

If you do that then you should be able to just cut about 1" deep then rotate the tube and cut another 1" following the line precisely, and so on till you have cut the whole way round. All you need do then is take off the rough with a file....

Just remember to cut the focuser end.

To test if you have done it correctly just stand the tube up on a hard flat strface and test the angle using a set square.....Mine was bang on perfect...... Albert (astro source) will testify to that.....

You can make a very accurate guide by wrapping some wide card strip around the tube and sticking the ends.

Mark 6 or so points around the tube at the required cut distance and line up the edge of the card. Cut along the edge of the card with a fine tooth hacksaw blade and smooth off with a fine file.

Also watch the internal baffles in the OTA; sometimes the focuser tube will interfer with them and the focuser tube itself may need to be cut.....

• 1 month later...

Well young Jamie i took the saw by the scruff of the neck n cut the tube down

To be quite honest though it was a piece of cake just got some card wrapped it round the tube making sure the edge was flush and started cutting whilst rotating the tube

See you at Kielder

Well young Jamie i took the saw by the scruff of the neck n cut the tube down

To be quite honest though it was a piece of cake just got some card wrapped it round the tube making sure the edge was flush and started cutting whilst rotating the tube

See you at Kielder

Now yer talking.....

See ya then matey...

No mate i thought it may cause a problem myself but it works fine the reason for cutting it down is so i could binoview through it and i must say i am very happy with the outcome the star test shows collimation is spot on perfect concentric rings at high powers ( I cut 4" off the tube)

Archived