Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen flourite help

Hi Ray, if you just mean removing the lens cell as a unit, you should be ok, but

I think I'd put a pencil mark on cell & tube so it goes back in exactly the same

orientation.

But personally I wouldn't dismantle the cell & lens elements.

However, I seem to remember an article on Cloudy Nights about doing just that,

if I can find it, I will post it here.

Edit :- The Cloudy Nights article is here - http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/cleaning2.pdf it's about dismantling/cleaning doublets & warns

against doing the same with triplets. An interesting read, even if you are not going to do it........I wouldn't !

Best regards, Ed.

Hi Ed thanks for the reply, it's just the lens cell complete that i want to remove, i dont want to get into the optics in any way, just free the tube up to re-paint.

Do you know if the cell is screwed onto the tube? there are 3 set screws spaced approx 120 deg that appear to hold the unit together and 3 (i assume) collimation set screws.

Regards Ray

Hi Ray, a good article on the Vixen 102 fl is at :-

Company Seven | Vixen 102-FL Fluorite Apochromat Refractor Telescope

It says that the cell is collimatable, so that must be the 3 screws you

mention. I am not sure, but would assume that you can leave those

screws alone, and unscrew the complete cell. But please be careful

you have a very desirable scope !

All the best, Ed.

Edit :- just had another look at Company7, it mentions push/pull collimation screws, which

would mean 3 pairs of collimation screws, Ed.

Hi Ed thanks for the link; see what you mean about the push pull screws, it had'nt clicked with me at all as to the use of the screws.

iv'e e-mailed Vixen info but they are not much help, i'll take my time.

Regards Ray

I would not touch the lens in any way but cell removal as a whole should be done with care!!!!! Why not contact Pete Gamby at Opticron in London Vixen`s Uk importer? I found him very helpful when i chipped a rear lens in my 80mm vixen and he contacted Vixen on my behalf

Regards

Mike

hi there

this is off topic but related as I have a specific query for your scope - hope you don't mind.

Someone recently raved about the Vixen Flourite scopes and mentioned that they are quite superb. I am currently debating whether or not to dispose of my Celestron refractor (see below) which is clearly a step or three below the Vixen. My other choice is maybe a good quality 8" f8 dobsonian (maybe 1/10 PV optics) but I am torn between this and a really good refractor. I do like dobs greatly for their ease of use but also the sharpness of a refractor is great too.

Finally, to my question, have you any idea/experience with your scope as to whether in the UK skies, the Vixen would be a better option for planetary/lunar and doubles than the newt mentioned above? If I could get my hands on a used Vixen I think it might be for about the same money as a really good quality 8" f8 dob.

Thanks in advance and I don't mind starting another thread if you would prefer?

Hi there, as you say somwhat of topic, i have not given the Vixen a fair run yet so i cannot comment on it's specific merits however i also own a 200mm newt and i find it very good, i guess the old adage comes to mind aperture will always count.

I bought the Vixen for the relitive portability abroad and lack of obstruction.

hope that helps

Thanks Ray

I'll be out of the office tomorrow (20th) Ray but back in on Wednesday.

I'll have to do a stealth request to Vixen about the disassembly as the chaps in Japan dislike the idea that anyone other than a Vixen engineer can take apart one of their creations :-)

However, it's always good for us to have a reason to request exploded parts diagrams and such as it adds to our local knowledge base for the future.

Phone number for the office is 01582 726 522 and other contact details are on the Opticron or vixenoptics.co.uk websites.

Cheers, Pete

Cheers Pete; i've already posted an e-mail to you at Opticron.

I very much appreiciate your reply on this forum and look forward to any reply you have from Vixen.

I'll contact you by phone if i may, around wed /Thurs.

Regards Ray

Hello Ray. I have a Vixen 102 Flourite, the complete lens assembly simply unscrews, no need to touch the pairs of collimation screws. Make sure to put the unit in a safe dust free place whilst the tube refurb is taking place. Moonshane, The Vixen is a great refractor and will compare very favourably with any of the very high end APO's currently available, at F9 it is probably best used for visual rather than wide field imaging, the starkness of Lunar features with a flourite lens is very hard to beat. I also have a very good 8.5" Newtonian and if I had to choose between the two I would keep the 8.5" as it is more versatile, as I don't have to, the Vixen is mainly used for double stars at which it excells or for Solar observation as part of a PST mod.

Cheers Peter i'm so glad i can just unscrew it, mine is the slightly lower focal length of 900mm f8.8, i dont supose that makes a blind bit of difference, i belive they are all vg scopes.

Have you actually removed the front cell Peter, i just wondered if it unscrewed relativly easily?

Regards Ray

I also have the 900mm f8.8 and it is one of the best purchases I have ever made. Super for viewing and I am hoping imaging the planets. My first view was of Mars and it just blew my socks off. Previously I had only seen an orange blob with maybe a pole cap but was now seeing great detail almost like some of the great images produced on here. I also have a 9.25 Celestron but have chosen the FL102S to go in the POD for imaging and visual and will use the 9.25 for visual only especially DSOs.

I have followed this thread with interest, but haven't needed to remove the lens so far.

Dave

Hi Dave; i have only recently purchased the 102, and i feel very fortunate for having had the opportunity, i can only hope that my experience with the 102 echoes yours.

For info; i have tentitivly rotated the front cell and found that it does /will indeed screw of quite easily.

next thing will be to bring the tube back to pristine and get some good visual experience through it.

My original question was to gather some info on the removal of the front cell, i think everyone has helped me to get where i wanted to go.

Many thanks

Ray

Cheers Alan: as i look toward refurbing the tube it seems that there are a number of "should i say" disguises for this scope, i've read of all black ones (seems a little odd) but in the main Vixen tended to use a white tube with different decals, in slightly different places on the tube.

would somone post a pic of there 102s if possible just to identify the std if there is one?

Regards Ray

Archived