Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is this normal?

MikeWilson

That's a shame! But at least you can play with the scope. Maybe it's not that bad because now you can try out the scope indoors with some lights on. My first night out with a telescope was a bit messy and I looked like a blindfolded kid trying to get a brick into a straw... And I thought I already passed that test...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was windy and cloudy but I didn't let that put me off. Using the bubble level I levelled the scope, holding the mount and adjusting the legs until it was apparently level. And then I started "two-star alignment" which worked quite well since I could choose a segment of sky (I chose West) and the two stars the scope suggested, Arcturus and Vega I thought I could see. I managed to align the scope with Arcturus and then when the scope slew to Vega it totally missed. I couldn't get it to align with Vega at all, in fact - the scope was pointing practically at Zenith in totally the wrong place. After an hour, and more inspection of star charts I saw that I was totally off. What I thought was Arcturus was actually Marik and what I thought was Vega was Arcturus!

Anyway, I spent most of the time cricking my neck into the badly angled finderscope whilst kneeling in the mud (my lawn has turned to mud over the last few days) and waiting for the clouds to clear out of the scope's view.

I never did get alignment, nor did I see anything amazing.

However - I did see stars. Far more than I expected. And for my home town, that in itself was an amazing sight!

welcome to SGL Mike... hope you have deep pockets :D

This is by far the most expensive hobby I've started out in. More expensive than Airsoft, Golf, Aquatics, etc - combined... I've already gone way over budget!

Fortunately missus is on side and really enjoys looking at the stars too :)

Welcome to the forum Mike. It really helps if your partner also has an interest in astronomy - it helps the discussion on how much to spend and also means she is more likely to be still up at 3am when you want to drag her out to see Saturn :)

Hi Mike and welcome. I have the same scope as you and don't worry the clouds are normal after a purchase. Continually finding myself checking eyepiece prices - must be able to afford those televues somehow!!!

Hi Mike,

A very warm welcome to SGL, I see your new scope arrived with it`s usual packet of free cloud, never mind, they will soon clear for you and go and bother someone else, enjoy the forum.

John.

Hi Mike and welcome. I have the same scope as you and don't worry the clouds are normal after a purchase. Continually finding myself checking eyepiece prices - must be able to afford those televues somehow!!!

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome!

I saw Stargirl had the same scope as me, and I can highly recommend the Revelation Eyepiece set - currently available from FLO with a 10% discount to members of this forum. I don't need all the filters, etc so will be selling some on eBay to help fund it's purchase!

Thus far I've only looked through the 32mm Plossl, but I did see a smattering of stars I've never seen before. And this is under somewhat heavy light pollution.

If I was superstitious, I'd say there was something to this clouds-with-new-equipment thing. I left the scope out and then the heavy cloud rolled in - there was a perfectly defined weather front right above my head a zenith after five minutes!!!!

Best,

Mike

This is the eyepiece set I purchased with the scope (totally blowing my budget). Also shown are the stock included Skywatcher eyepieces, Barlow and moon filter. I thought I needed a moon filter, so I have two now (I think) so one is destined for eBay together with the stock Barlow lens and maybe the stock 25mm and stock 10mm too.

post-18683-133877462838_thumb.jpg

Welcome Mike!

Very shrewd choice of gear you have got yourself! Just a word of caution about attaching a camera to your mount. Compact cameras are fine but anything bigger may be too heavy for the skymax mount (causing scope to tip).

Regards,

Stuart (Cheshire)

Thanks Space Cowboy & Astro Baby.

Regarding cameras, I have only compact point and shoot. No DSLR or anything bigger than a pocket camera. The A570IS is exceptionally light, but I know what you mean re weight. This GOTO mount is not very steady at all. Wind affects it and I've only gone up to 32mm so far!

I am however in need of a case for the OTA. Can anyone help me? I've checked eBay and can't find anything suitable. I may take a quick trip to Maplin tomorrow morning but I expect that their cases are somewhat expensive.

Alternatively, does anyone have any tips for the safe transport of the OTA and mount?

I drove the family mad waiting for a hyperion lens that I was convinced would reveal Jupiter in all its glory. Anticipation is definitely half the fun. I'm currently looking out onto the decking and watching the clouds roll in as the dob sits there cooling down in anticipation of a glimpse of a crescent moon. Boo!

I find the mount is more stable with the legs only halfway out.

I have my skymax OTA in a Argos plastic £10 toolbox fits like a glove but i would not call it heavy duty. I believe someone posted a while ago about a good strong case from Maplin for about £30.

I started out imaging with a compact camera and 32mm eyepiece. Had some nice shots of the moon and even Jupiter and Mars. Now using a webcam which works best with the Skymax mount as its so light. Checkout my profile album.

I find the mount is more stable with the legs only halfway out.

I have my skymax OTA in a Argos plastic £10 toolbox fits like a glove but i would not call it heavy duty. I believe someone posted a while ago about a good strong case from Maplin for about £30.

I started out imaging with a compact camera and 32mm eyepiece. Had some nice shots of the moon and even Jupiter and Mars. Now using a webcam which works best with the Skymax mount as its so light. Checkout my profile album.

Hi Stuart,

Do you have a link to the Argos toolbox? I've currently got mine in the cardboard box it came in... I also found a case at Maplin, but it's £50 - which is a little much.... £30 is justifiable, but I can't see anything that will fit nicely for that.

I'll check out your gallaries too, I'm very interested in amateur astro imagery!

Hi Stuart,

Do you have a link to the Argos toolbox? I've currently got mine in the cardboard box it came in... I also found a case at Maplin, but it's £50 - which is a little much.... £30 is justifiable, but I can't see anything that will fit nicely for that.

I'll check out your gallaries too, I'm very interested in amateur astro imagery!

Here is the link but unfortunately its now out of stock though I've seen almost identical boxes at Wilkinsons, Alidi and B & M.

Buy Set of 2 Tool Boxes and 2 Organiser Boxes. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

I just use bubble wrap to line the box interior. Fits snugly in the footwell behind front seat of my car.

Thank you Ant, thank you Stuart!

Stuart: Is your Skywatcher OTA a Mak 127? If so, thanks - I'll get that box! I might pick up some foam to go with it, too..

Ant:: Thanks for the heads up. I am looking for some social astronomy as solo astronomy around other non-astronomers is a little lonely, and, sometimes I think it would be pretty useful to ask for help, (aka: "What's that star called?") too :eek:

Archived