Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings

Bigbear

Hello all, Bigbear here.

I'm a total novice when it comes to astronomy.

I found this site while searching for reviews of binoculars. I read many reviews of the Bresser binoculars that are often on sale at Lidl. Well, I live in South East Asia and so have no Lidl. I managed to track down a pair of 10x50 Bresser Travelview bins. The first pair had collimation problems. Soon returned and received another pair. Really impressed so fair. It is a beautiful clear night and had a great look at the moon.

I have a question. I would like to mount the Bressers on a tripod. Can I simply use a camera tripod? I am a little confused about the technical things people have written about on this forum. Would a simple camera tripod be fine. I already have the "L" mount that came with the Bressers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bigbear

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Bigbear,

A warm welcome to SGL :rolleyes:

To answer your question, I think it should be possible. Not sure how as I don't have one of those L-pieces to check. Hopefully someone else can give a definitive answer.

HTH

Hi from me too - the L shaped adapter should fit to the top of a standard photo tripod. It just screws down to the top of the tripod using the same fitting as a camera has on its base.

The other end fits to the binos - along the centre line of the binos where they hinge - at the front there should be a small plastic or metal cap (usually they have the makers brand logo on them or are just plan) this unscrews or unlcips and the other end of the L bracket fits on there.

You may need a tallish tripod as already mentioned.

Any questions just ask up

:rolleyes:

Welcome to SGL BigBear

I have a pair of Bresser 10x50 binos, but usually do not bother with a tripod. With the adpater it should mount on any tripod, but I never felt the need, as it restricts my movement too much. A comfy reclining chair (deckchair) is way better in my opinion. For bigger binos a tripod is a must.

Hi and welcome to the group, Bigbear! :rolleyes:

If i recall correctly, the L-adapters have a standard 1/4-20 threading and fit any standard camera tripod. But just to make sure they're compatible, you might want to take the L-adapter with you when you buy the tripod. :)

Hi Bigbear and welcome to the forum.

Using a camera tripod is a useful idea, although as your binos are fairly light, it isn't vital to have one. Of course camera tripods only have so much tilt on them so they wouldn't be any good for objects that are very high in the sky. For those objects I would recommend a good lie down (a lounger would be nice) and take your time to absorb the sites, especially the Milky Way.

Clear skies

james

Clear skies

james

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome :rolleyes:

I'm currently reading as much as I can, because to be honest I have no clue what to look at!

A few people have said I might not need a tripod, but last night when looking at the moon, I just couldn't stop the shakes!

I have the plastic adaptor that came with the Bressers, so will try and find a tall tripod as I'm 6'1''.

Just a few more questions:

a) Does anyone have any recommendations for what I should look for in a tripod? I will buy one on Saturday and wondered what I should test or look at.

:) Also I have no idea what to look at or where! I was thinking of getting a basic book. A few people here have written about the "Pocket Sky Atlas" by Sky and Telescope. Would this be a good start?

c) Will I need a compass too?

Sorry for all the questions...just need pointing in the right direction. :)

Hello all, Bigbear here.

I'm a total novice when it comes to astronomy.

I found this site while searching for reviews of binoculars. I read many reviews of the Bresser binoculars that are often on sale at Lidl. Well, I live in South East Asia and so have no Lidl. I managed to track down a pair of 10x50 Bresser Travelview bins. The first pair had collimation problems. Soon returned and received another pair. Really impressed so fair. It is a beautiful clear night and had a great look at the moon.

I have a question. I would like to mount the Bressers on a tripod. Can I simply use a camera tripod? I am a little confused about the technical things people have written about on this forum. Would a simple camera tripod be fine. I already have the "L" mount that came with the Bressers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bigbear

hi Bigbear,ur name sounds fun:D welcome u here;)

-----------

Dedicated PHP Developers

Hi Big Bear, welcome to SGL.

I have the pocket atlas, and I find it's size, and detail very useful.

I have also recently purchased Turn left at Orion, this book does not assume you know your way round the sky, and uses easy to find references to get you to your target.

Clear skies!

I will try and find an English copy of the pocket atlas.

Have downloaded Stellarium, but the time seems to be out. I have set the time for my location but it shows the sky as being night...which it isn't. When I move the time forward it shows the sun rising and setting at totally the wrong time.

Any ideas from people who use this program. The user guide has nothing written about this.

Brandon of Borg: A massive thank you! Due to the programme I was able to see and name Venus, Mars and Saturn!! Incredible!!

Stellarium is set at GMT and shows correct night/day now for my location. Which is strange as I have to mentally add the time difference. Anyway it is working as I was able to identify things. Brilliant.

Thanks again to all for the advice and help.

Archived