Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings!

toml42

Hi, my names Tom and I am currently studying astrophysics at university.

I've been reading this forum for a while, and have found it informative and friendly, and as i'm planning to buy my first serious scope within the next few weeks, i figured it was time i joined! :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tom, unfortunately you joined at a pretty bad moment if you're looking to buy gear from SGL as just today they have limited the buy/sell forum to members with over 50 posts. It is an excellent way of getting a LOT of scope for your money. I'm a student too, and typically money is tighter for us in general than most, so the forum could potentially have been of immense value to someone such as yourself. :)

You're just going to have to somehow get 50 posts down to take advantage of it now, so if I were you, I'd get posting!

SGL is great, you'll love it!

Having just re-read that, it sounds like the last bit is sarcastic, but I assure you it really isn't. Todays reform has just caused a bit of an upset to a lot of newbies, but we've been assured its "for the greater good" - like in Hot Fuzz apparently :)

Simon,

Posting on the Sale boards has been restricted to members with 50 posts, or more, for some time now. Its not a new thing.

But, even though you can't post there, you can still PM sellers if there is something you wish to buy.

Sorry to hijack your thread Tom.

Hi Tom, unfortunately you joined at a pretty bad moment if you're looking to buy gear from SGL as just today they have limited the buy/sell forum to members with over 50 posts. It is an excellent way of getting a LOT of scope for your money. I'm a student too, and typically money is tighter for us in general than most, so the forum could potentially have been of immense value to someone such as yourself. :)

You're just going to have to somehow get 50 posts down to take advantage of it now, so if I were you, I'd get posting!

SGL is great, you'll love it!

gah, that's a pain, ha ha ha, just my luck...

ah well, i understand the reasoning behind it. why didn't i join last week? :icon_scratch:

i'd better get posting then, lol, i'm hoping i can contribute something to the science section as i don't yet have a huge degree of observing experience.

cheers for the welcome guys!

Simon,

Posting on the Sale boards has been restricted to members with 50 posts, or more, for some time now. Its not a new thing.

But, even though you can't post there, you can still PM sellers if there is something you wish to buy.

Sorry to hijack your thread Tom.

But you cannot actually see that For Sale forum until you have 50 posts, as of today!

Trust me, I've tried, and to my frustration, failed. Just to re-itterate, David you have over 50 posts so it would appear as nothing has changed to you. But for us sub-50 posters, we are now unable to view the For Sale forum.

Welcome to SGL.

I also studied astronomy and physics (in Groningen, the Netherlands). Where are you and what year are you in?

Cheers

Michael

Just finished my second year at Exeter university.

Thanks again for all the friendly welcomes :rolleyes:

Archived