NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

120mm F/7.5 Doublet Apos: WO Vs SkyWatcher

I've noticed that William Optics now have a very nice looking 120mm FPL-53 doublet apo in their Megrez range:

William Optics - William Optics Megrez 120

SkyWatcher have had the Equinox 120ED out for a while which looks to have a very similar specification, almost identical as far as I can see, apart from the colour scheme, trim details etc.

What does the additional £300 that the William Optics costs actually get you ? - I've noticed the snazzy digital read out on the WO focusser but there must be more to it than that :)

• 2 years later...

Hello John,

It could be build quality you are paying for. But I'm not a SkyWatcher user. And I don't want to upset anybody.

I've been looking at buying one off these as a birthday treat, when I reach my half century in two years. I all ready own a ZenithStar 66 but I want something a little bigger for astro-imging.

And this feels right, for the size and price. But I would like to read some reviews of this telescope, and also see images taken with one. But I can not find anything suitable.

It's always been my opinion that Skywatcher scopes look as if they are mass produced. The cap comes off with a brush of a hand, the paint is scratched off with the slightest of hits and the fixtures are clunky and awkward. From my experience you pay a lot for build quality and optical quality. For me i'd rather save an extra paycheck and get a far better built, optically sound scope.

There is a lot of badge engineering going on. there are a few nice scopes in amongst them, the Revelation 100ED that Telescope House do is an example of a good one.

Telescope House

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation_100mm_Apochromatic_Refractor.html

TS version in white:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1972_TS-ED-APO-100-600mm-f-6---2-7--Linear-Power-Focuser.html

Bit of a price difference for a livery change.

Well it's been well worth a couple of years for those responses folks - thanks very much :grin::smiley:

As it happens I bought a Skywatcher ED120 Pro from an SGL member last year and I love the scope :smiley:

These ED120's (I include the William Optics, the Orion (USA), Equinox's etc, etc in this) seem to get more or less overwhelmingly positive comments wherever you see them reported on. I'm certainly a member of their fan club now.

I agree that the Skywatcher Pro finish is not as glossy as the William Optics or Skywatcher's own Equinox but optically I can't fault the scope and mechanically it's perfectly functional. Mine now has a Moonlite focuser on it which is a very nice upgrade.

I've sometimes wonder how much I would have to pay for a similar aperture refractor that delivers noticeably better performance than my ED120 - quite a bit I reckon :smiley:

Well our problems our now sorted with regards to a nice 120 - match optics with fit and finish, add in a reliable supplier to the mix and we can now sit back, place our orders and wait for the clear autumn nights...

Takahashi from Ian King Imaging

I feel we may need a syndicate though and have a loan system in place :laugh:

andrew

One day I might treat myself to a Tak - the Tak Triplet 120 is £4.2K though :eek:

The FS128 is the one I fancy but it's out of production now so it would have to be a used one.

The Sky-Watcher 120ED Pro is a very good scope optically. The focuser is perhaps its weakest component. Mine turns smoothly but it struggles a bit to hold its position when pointed near the zenith with a heavy eyepiece such as a 22mm Nagler & 2" diagonal. A couple of months ago I bought a Tak FS-102 which, after its first night of use, sent the 120ED back into its case where it still resides. I'm not sure what I will do with the 120ED at this point, but I'm definitely not selling the Tak unless it's to upgrade to a larger Tak. If any of you can afford to get a Tak, I urge you to do so.

From what I have read and base on experience of on non-DDG WO focuser, I'd by the Skywatcher.

That way, you'll have the same optics and £300 trousered to buy a focuser that can actually hold a DSLR/CCD/OFAG/Filterwheel at zenith. WO seem to have it nailed in terms of specs for scopes that people buy second hand. The reason being is that the previous owners can't be bothered with making the focusers work. I had my Zenithstar 80 ED II apart multiple times to adjust tollerances and in the end, I just had to admit the focuser was junk. A digital readout, apparently, doesn't change that fact.

Russell

One day I might treat myself to a Tak - the Tak Triplet 120 is £4.2K though :eek:

The FS128 is the one I fancy but it's out of production now so it would have to be a used one.

I own a Tak FSQ85 and i assure you the scopes are well worth the money; well worth the money. They are the best optics i've ever had the pleasure of owning, and the build quality is rock solid. They may be a few grand each but the extra wait, and the extra pay packets are worth waiting for.

For £4.2K I will get me an OOUK OMC 300 or a C14 OTA. Or one MASSIVE dob. And yes, I do know what the view through top APOs looks like. I spent some time with Olly's TEC 140, which is a pleasure to use. Still prefer his 20" dob.

But then I am more of a visual man. Horses for courses, as ever

.....But then I am more of a visual man. Horses for courses, as ever

So am I Michael :smiley:

I've viewed through a 20 inch dob and the views were fabulous :grin:

The scopes you mention would be totally impractical for me though, unless I move house, so owning one would be a highly frustrating experience I fear.

So am I Michael :smiley:

I've viewed through a 20 inch dob and the views were fabulous :grin:

The scopes you mention would be totally impractical for me though, unless I move house, so owning one would be a highly frustrating experience I fear.

I have put off buying a bigger scope for quite a while, more-or-less for those reasons. The best scope is the one you (can) use the most.

I'm sure though, £4,000 could actually buy a plot of land somewhere really dark, and then any remaining money could be used for an Observatory, which could house a monster Dob. Actually, that's a rather good idea :D.

I admit that spending a few grand on a scope like i did was perhaps a little extravagent (add overly here), but you can't beat the optics of a Tak, and the build quality is outstanding. Taks arent worth the money in visual circumstances, but photograpically they are worth every penny, and in my opinion well worth the wait of a few extra paychecks. You could probably buy 5 new telescopes for the price of a expensive telescope but none of them would compaire to a Tak.

Archived