Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I didn't give up

brianb

but I did image Venus whilst it was still at a reasonable altitude. The seeing was poor to bad with considerable boiling and the temperature was dropping too rapidly for my CPC1100 to keep up with, so I used by William Optics FLT 110 ...

Venus-100610-1900-composite-FLTX4.jpg

Thanks guys. BTW I did have a look with a deep violet filter (Wratten #47) & thought I could see a trace of the atmospheric markings, but really needed more light & better seeing to be sure.

Thanks guys. BTW I did have a look with a deep violet filter (Wratten #47) & thought I could see a trace of the atmospheric markings, but really needed more light & better seeing to be sure.

I have a #47, I'll give that a try tomorrow evening with the 12".

hmm ... not promising anything, but am considering another go at the SCAG meeting tomorrow, while waiting for it to get dark ... at least I won't have to worry about the block of flats

I'll have the Wratten #47 filter with me, so we can have a go visually too.

Tip for people without accurate computerized drives or setting circles at the moment: Venus is pretty easy to find in daylight at the moment: line the scope up on the Sun (cap on the main scope, solar film filter on the finder - or vice versa) and wait 2 hours 20 minutes with the drive turned OFF is the scope has one. Venus will then be in the field of view of the finder. This works - for a few days - because Venus & the Sun have pretty much the same declination.

Archived