Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light pollution -A little help from Springwatch

Ibbo!

I've just been watching Simon King on the pre Springwatch prog about city wildlife and at the end he mentioned that some councils are starting to tune in to the idaea that it is damaging our wildlife and they are starting to listen if not to us lot, as astronomers (which were not mentioned) but to the wildlife lobby

so that could be another angle for us to use

South Norfolk council are planning to turn off the street lights in most of the villages from midnight until 5am.

They're on the environmental & money saving band wagon which may do me a favour in return!

Yes, Shropshire Council are looking at ways to reduce street light usage, again for budget reasons. Whether it is for money or pollution it is the correct decision. Will be interesting to see whether there is a noticeable effect.

Yes, Shropshire Council are looking at ways to reduce street light usage, again for budget reasons. Whether it is for money or pollution it is the correct decision. Will be interesting to see whether there is a noticeable effect.

AWESOME!!! Bring it on!!! :D Is there a contact address where I can lodge my support for this as a humble taxpayer?

I'm a little dissapointed to be honest with the small amount of councils turning off lights, you would think with the government desperately trying to save money there would be alot more lights going out!

I'm a little dissapointed to be honest with the small amount of councils turning off lights, you would think with the government desperately trying to save money there would be alot more lights going out!

I think the problem is that is governments turned off lights to save money that if a single life was lost because of poorly lit roads then there would be huge public outrage.

There is a system in place in either Germany or Holland where streetlights are turned off at night and if you are out walking you can send an SMS to the electricity company and ask them to turn on ANY particular light that you are passing or need to passby on your walk. The lights stay on for about 1 minute and then go off again.

That is a blumming great system.

Ireland and the UK are part of Europe but we dont think like Europeans.

It wouldn't be so bad if they shielded the lights properly, to keep the light focussed on the ground where (and when) it's needed. I heard that some of the villages in Gloucestershire were turning their lights off from midnight till 5am and that more were thinking about doing the same. It would be nice if this were a national policy.

Rik

It wouldn't be so bad if they shielded the lights properly, to keep the light focussed on the ground where (and when) it's needed. I heard that some of the villages in Gloucestershire were turning their lights off from midnight till 5am and that more were thinking about doing the same. It would be nice if this were a national policy.

Rik

Wish Gloucestershire CC would have a bit more sense, I have 2 streetlights at either ende of my back garden and we are not talking acres, just a standard estate back garden, one would be sufficent!

I would back a lights out policy....

Jo

There is a system in place in either Germany or Holland where streetlights are turned off at night and if you are out walking you can send an SMS to the electricity company and ask them to turn on ANY particular light that you are passing or need to passby on your walk. The lights stay on for about 1 minute and then go off again.

That is a blumming great system.

Ireland and the UK are part of Europe but we dont think like Europeans.

Seriously - I would just use a torch!!

Archived