Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW Skywatcher Synguider Autoguider

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... and for people covered under NDAs to say they are under NDA so it makes people think those people NDA know something they dont...

... unless of course the terms of your NDA dont allow you to say you are under an NDA, at which point you can only say nothing, or you can lie about not being under an NDA... which you are..

I think...

Cleared that up nicely ,cheers Steve :D

Finally found out where Fedex had delivered the Parcel - thanks Fedex... This wasnt FLO's fault it was FEDEX's....

The manual seems well written - from my reading of it seems like you have to adjust the guide scope to center the guide star - you cant guide on a star anywhere in the FOV of the guidecam.. this goes against the way I normally work and would explain some of the other items that Skywatcher have introduced :D

Perhaps Nick can comment as he has been using it?

Peter...

from my reading of it seems like you have to adjust the guide scope to center the guide star - you cant guide on a star anywhere in the FOV of the guidecam.

I have to say that if that is the case, it is a bit of a compromise but it explains the parfocal ring and EP adapter.

And the new alt-az guider adjusters for the guide scope etc... Glad I havent started cutting metal for the Widefield Guided setup as it might need a re-think...

I Will see how it works at the earliest opportunity...

They reckon you can guide on a star down to mag 8 with an 80mm guide scope with 2048mS exposure and good seeing...

I was hoping to use a finder guider or the 80-200 f3.6 tele guider...

Peter...

according to p6 under the Lock or Re-Lock menu "Manual/Re-lock: the synguider will show a small pick-up crosshair in the image area.....where you can use the 4 direction buttons to move the cross hair onto or near a star. Press ENTER to lock the synguider on the star". So I guess it means that it will guide on a star not centered. Auto mode tries to lock automatically on to the star. But I agree it seems they there is a contradiction where it later mentions to centre a star using the guidescope adjusters....

This is a case of wait and see it for real I guess - the manual may be a early version as this has only just been announced (NDAs excluded!) so a full user report would be the best way to hear how it works 'in the field'. It still sounds like a bargain to me so I am looking forward to reading a full account of it.

according to p6 under the Lock or Re-Lock menu "Manual/Re-lock: the synguider will show a small pick-up crosshair in the image area.....where you can use the 4 direction buttons to move the cross hair onto or near a star. Press ENTER to lock the synguider on the star". So I guess it means that it will guide on a star not centered. Auto mode tries to lock automatically on to the star. But I agree it seems they there is a contradiction where it later mentions to centre a star using the guidescope adjusters....

Indeed it was the apparent contadiction that was confusing me and the "Near Star" bit suggesting it had to be roughly central based on the later info...

If the clouds would only clear away.. then i can try it and see...

must have got more room than i have then :D

Right time for a seperate thread I think.... I have helped cluttered this one up enough...

Ken expect a call about SGE :)

Just to confirm the face infront of the ccd has now been painted matt black and the M42 thread is M42x0.75 - standard T thread... to me when a thread is listed as M42 its the M42x1.0 from 35mm days...

Peter...

In practice the lock worked very well auto locking. Fiddliest bit for me was initial focus on a high up star, however, the zoom function was a gem with that.

Takes some getting used to...I will agree, but for £229, utter utter no brainer product

This is a case of wait and see it for real I guess - the manual may be a early version as this has only just been announced (NDAs excluded!) so a full user report would be the best way to hear how it works 'in the field'. It still sounds like a bargain to me so I am looking forward to reading a full account of it.

The manual I had was a photocopy sheet set, so I am not sure in full production what they have delivered. However, compared to other products I have recently been testing, at least it had a manual ! :-)..

And testing at work...what's a manual?

I guess the manual is copyright so i cant put up a copy of it?

I don't see why, most decent companies put online copies of manuals and user guides online anyway

I tested it with an NEQ3 and EQ6 and it worked with both. The EQ6 guided slightly better (better drives etc), but the NEQ3 was fine, and for what Peter wants to do, it will be a killer setup

Archived