Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEW Skywatcher Synguider Autoguider

I have to say that I've had no problems with my Synguider either - Does exactly what it says on the tin... However, never having used PHD, I can't comment on which is easier...

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to say that I've had no problems with my Synguider either - Does exactly what it says on the tin... However, never having used PHD, I can't comment on which is easier...

PHD is easier.

Key advantages:

1) See what it's doing = feel more comfortable. The Synguider feels like a 'magic box' sometimes.

2) Can perform PEC correction (I haven't done this yet) to improve tracking accuracy.

3) It's *really* easy to use. Practically just click and go.

4) It's cheaper.

Although I'm not dissing the SynGuider, I got pretty good results from it when I was using it:

5190204666_765f2b140a_m.jpg

Astro: NGC 6960 (Western Veil Nebula (24-10-2010) by MikeWPhotos, on Flickr

Best,

Mike

It's not cheaper since the SG is about the price of an entry level guiding cam that you'll need in any case (except maybe if you use a modified SPC900, with long exposure activated). That's what made me decide to go for it as well...

If you have a computer around then I would go the PHD route...

If you don't and can live with the "foibles" then a Synguider might be for you...

I have tried it with a HEQ5 and CPC800 and it worked with both of those...

I haven't been able to use it the way I want to because of "ongoing" issues withthe guide port on the EQ3-Pro - Still waiting for a fix nearly a year after bringing the problem to SW's attention -even though for quite a while they wouldn't accept that it existed... But that's a seperate issue as the guide port problem exists if you use PHD and a GPUSB as well...

I haven't tried pulse guiding using EQ-mod as it defeats the object of the EQ3-Pro Synguider combo...

SW recently released MC Firmware updates for EQ3/5, EQ6 and HEQ5 the ridiculously "brief" release note relates to autoguider issues...

Last night I updated the EQ3-Pro and the handset to the latest firmware revisions but apart from basic slewing test I haven't had a chance to do anything more with them...

Peter...

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on the autoguider rate ith the SG?

Still dont understand why we should turn aggressiveness down by half on that gizmo... It doesnt make sense that it doesnt give the proper setting by itself or does it ?

Hi Phil - Do you mean what do you set the tracking rate to on the CG5-GT handset....? As the CG5-GT is basically the same as an SW EQ5, I would have thought you could simply use normal sidereal tracking (as you would with a SW goto unit).

Re: halving the aggressiveness, I personally couldn't give you any particularly technical explanation for doing this - I do it simply because I read that it's a good idea to do so (I'd presumed that it helps to stop it from chasing the seeing?). However, as it works, I've never really questioned it... (sorry)

No this I leave to whatever setting I have. I dont touch it. But if you go further into the menus, you will find an "Autoguiding rate". I believe it is to set at what speed the mount is supposed to catch up with the locked star, in % of the sideral rate I think. The higher the value, the speedier it will be. Not that 100% is the best option as far as I heard.

Well not exactly actually.

Agressiveness would be with what reaction force the correction will be made, how reactive it will be.

The autoguiding rate would be at what speed the mount will go to reach correction.

Anyway, that's how I understand it.

So in this case, the point of slicing the agressiveness by half on the Synguider would be dependant on the autoguiding rate on the mount's HC ? Anyway if I'm right in my assumptions, that's how I understand things, and well, it makes things even more complicated then.

Not that the issue only conserns the Synguider. I guess when you guide with PHD & co, the same question must be asked...

Does anyone has any contact with SW directly so as to get an answer to this ?

Does anyone has any contact with SW directly so as to get an answer to this ?
I tried contacting them about a year ago... Despite chasing them, I still didn't get an answer so gave up (it wasn't that important). You could try contacting OVL though (main UK SW importers) or David Hinds (I believe that he's the main UK Celestron outlet)...?

Archived