Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW Skywatcher Synguider Autoguider

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting comments, Nick - it makes the LVI/Solitaire look very pale in comparison and it is now seriously challenging the cheap Netbook/QHY5 combination which the LVI/Solitaire failed to do!

The screen position is an issue but at this price point, a remote screen would have been challenging. I don't like the idea of using a diagonal although in fairness, a rugged one attached with three retaining bolts to the focus tube could do an effective job. It could be fun positioning this to view it and locating a suitable guide star on an off axis guider though!!

...looks like they have absolutely hit the nail on the head with that...a killer at £229 no doubt..

It will. Unfortunately they are currently (May) in very short supply, though we are assured they will become more readily available after the next delivery.

I have a real admiration for Skywatcher, they really do seem to push boundaries, and let's hope that they continue to do so ...
This is going to be an interesting year... :D
... it makes the LVI/Solitaire look very pale in comparison and it is now seriously challenging the cheap Netbook/QHY5 combination ...

Here at FLO we are very pleased with this new guider. The Atik 16ic and Starlight Xpress Lodestar both make excellent guide cameras but they are not particularly cheap. We needed a simple and affordable option, other than QHY. The new Skywatcher Synguider fits the bill nicely :)

Steve

Indeed it does make the LVI seem somewhat "expensive"

The screen issue was my biggest gripe with it to be honest. The workflow and OS take a wee while to get used to, but once you have that sussed, you're away. For star parties this one is a killer as combine it with a DSLR and you'r no longer in need of any power barring the battery packs for your mount/this and SLR, and with something like the NEQ3, combined with this and a second hand EOS10D modded, with a CLS filter, ST80 you're under £1000 for a pretty damn fine imaging setup barring your actual imaging scope, which a WO with FF would sit nicely

Riklaunim,

You quote some interesting figures there....

The chip is actually a 404AL not the 404BL - does this make any difference??

Looks like a typo of mine. It was from AL sheet (BL doesn't exist).

The Atik 16ic and Starlight Xpress Lodestar both make excellent guide cameras but they are not particularly cheap

16 bit A/D, cooling - things that aren't needed in a guider.

Companies are starting do design dedicated tools for very narrow and precise usage. Innovate and reduce costs - which is good for customers. I'm still waiting for a "better" version of the Atik Titan idea :D

16 bit A/D, cooling - things that aren't needed in a guider.

Agreed, though the Atik 16ic is often employed as an auto-guider when owners upgrade to an Atik 314L

I was simply commenting that FLO had been looking for a more affordable option for those wanting a dedicated guide camera :D

Thanks for the Review Nick, a lot more determined to grab one. It's a serious contender to the QHY5 & built a lot better, BTW how noisy is it compared to the QHY5 ??

Cheers

Nadeem.

It has noise reduction filtering on it...I found it about as good as the DSI in use over the test period, which to my mind is good!

The casing is also quite lightweight I should add, worked fine on my NEQ3 with the parallel ST80/WO66 setup. It comes with a parfocal ring and 1.25" EP adapter as well as cables to update the firmware in the same way as the Synscan does..They updated the font visibility on the last firmware tweak,

Screen also is a nice and usable red..perfect for not winding people up in a field!

"Quote:

I have a real admiration for Skywatcher, they really do seem to push boundaries, and let's hope that they continue to do so ...

This is going to be an interesting year... :D "

Are you aware of other upcoming teasers Steve ?????:)

Its the way that industry keeps stuff quiet during R&D...

... and for people covered under NDAs to say they are under NDA so it makes people think those people NDA know something they dont...

... unless of course the terms of your NDA dont allow you to say you are under an NDA, at which point you can only say nothing, or you can lie about not being under an NDA... which you are..

I think...

NDAs help make the world go round and are a great way of getting a third party to debug your work for you for free and not let the world know that there was ever any de-bugging to be done .... I love NDAs but I can't tell you if I am under any or not as that is part of any NDA that I may or may not be working under. SteveL, can you help me out here?

It is very frustrating! Suffice to say there will be a number of new products this year. Some quite predictable, others less so...

Are you advising us to keep hold of our money until we know more then Steve?:D.

Ron.

There are times when NDAs can are quite ridiculous. For example, here on SGL we are all expecting a new Skywatcher 14" Dobsonian. There are threads where it has been discussed in detail, there is even a product shot and specifications, but I cannot acknowledge its existence... or non-existence... :D

Steve

In several of the companies that I worked for our sales people were the worst for leaking info... the result of their blabberings was that the customers would always be waiting for the "next generation" product ...

In the end we banned them from the R&D labs...

Peter...

Archived