NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Keanz..oOo..

Hi every one.

I'm a new member my friend showed me this forum and i loved the pics and blogs people have been putting on.

I have got myself a scope (mead70AZ-AR) and ready to put it into the night sky can any one give me any beginners tips or advise to on what is best to first obsevre. Keep up the good work everyone.

Hi Keanz and welcome to the group :D

Saturns a good one to start with - in the southern sky right now just after sunset. Also M13 - a very nice globular cluster, and if you're lucky you might be able to see M51 (galaxy) but expect it to just be a smudge in the sky.

If you download "Stellarium" (free planetarium software) it'll show you everything over your location at any time of day/night.

For good tips each month - get a copy of "Sky at Night" magazine - great if you don't know what to look for. And stellarium will tell you where it is.

Hope that helps :)

Hi Keanz, welcome to SGL.

Saturn and M13, both reasonably placed, and both wow objects.

See if you can get hold of "Turn left at Orion", it's a good book as it does not assume you know the sky, and point's the way.

Clear skies!

Hi Keanz..oOo..

Welcome to the forum from a fellow new person. I would agree with all the comments above, especially viewing Stellarium which you can use to plan ahead what you would like to explore (...especially considering how our weather changes so quickly!)

Wishing you luck and clear skies!

James

Hi Keanz,

A very warm welcome to the forum. :D

A nice target for you - the double star Albireo at the tail end of Cygnus. Watch out, too, for Jupiter and the Seven Sisters (Pleiades/M45) star cluster later on this year.

As others have said get Stellarium, a really useful planetarium program. Another useful aid is a planisphere.

Turn Left at Orion will help you learn the night sky. Another good book is The Backyard Astronomer's Guide, covering all aspects of the hobby for the beginner.

Archived