Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

can i use my telescope for solar veiwing?

With a proper filter yes, otherwise you can blind yourself in seconds or less.

The cheap filters show it in blue and only the spots are visible baader. Solar Filters - AstroZap Baader Solar Filter

For natural color and prominences you need to be prepared to buy an h-alpha filter. It's actually cheaper to get a coronado PST (solar telescope) for about 500£.

Coronado PST & Case

An H-alpha for a 200mm scope should cost over 1k£, I think.

You can buy or make a white light filter, there are plenty of sites on the web telling you how to do this, the Baader film is excellent and less likely to tear due to the design. Thousand Oaks make very good filters too.

if you do make a filter and observe the sun, make sure you remove your finder. you don't want a burnt ear or worse no eyesight if you instinctively look through the finder to locate it.

I am too much of a big girl's blouse to try and view the sun through a non dedicated scope. is it perfectly safe?

I am too much of a big girl's blouse to try and view the sun through a non dedicated scope. is it perfectly safe?

Nothing in this life is perfectly safe but with care you can reduce the risk to a very low level. In fact, when using solar film according to the instructions, the chief danger with solar observation is sunburn .... do remember to wear a hat / sensible clothing / slop sunscreen onto unprotected flesh! Melanoma is a killer ....

I guess nothing is completely safe, and even the best of us(!) have lapses in concentration? Feeling the "hot breath" of the sun on my cheek was enough to convince me! But I believe I have improved safety, by having a more "associated" (if not entirely dedicated) solar setup. Basically, I put the filter on INDOORS - It's quite a tight fit (FNAR?) before I take the whole scope outside. I also use one of those "pinhole" type finders, so generally, I'm not looking sunwards, until everything is "working". At that stage, I'm mostly (and still!) trying to focus the sun on a Laptop screen via Webcam... :)

Before I attach the filter to the scope I hold it up to the sun and check for any small holoes that might be there.

From what I understand about the Baader filter sheet is that it is a double sheet back to back and the chances of a pinhole appearing in the same spot on both sheets ius slim.

For natural color and prominences you need to be prepared to buy an h-alpha filter.

I wouldn't do that with a reflector - get a refractor if you want to do h-alpha (too much heat at the secondary if I understand right)

looking at his Avatar, Haitch is a seasoned sun watcher so he'd know:D

yes.....I know.....it's the guy off father ted :)

Leave me uncle Jack alone! ;) I picked him for my avatar because of a shared surname and shared outlook on life - DRINK! etc (better not repeat the rest) ;)

I did wonder if that's how he got the eye.:D

Leave me uncle Jack alone! :D I picked him for my avatar because of a shared surname and shared outlook on life - DRINK! etc (better not repeat the rest) :)

I did wonder if that's how he got the eye.;)

ha ha

why, what's up with GIRLS!?? ohhhhh...you mean the other one......

having just set up my dob in a clear evening, returned after an hour to a cloudy sky, I know how he feels....

ha ha

why, what's up with GIRLS!?? ohhhhh...you mean the other one......

having just set up my dob in a clear evening, returned after an hour to a cloudy sky, I know how he feels....

The wife takes exception to GIRLS!

Not even the chance to set up in my garden in the light polluted West Mids tonight - I'm stuck in a hotel next to Canary Wharf on business - I've only just realised the sun's gone down :), my gear is nearly 150 miles away and you can't even tell if it's cloudy or not! ;)

Here, see...

post-14514-133877446674_thumb.jpg

Archived