Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Windsor/Maidenhead, Berkshire

Armsoft

Hello,

Newbie (6 weeks, only 3 evening viewings though)

I`ve started off with a Celestron Nexstar4 SE which I`ve been reasonably pleased with on the very rare occasion that I`ve been able to get outside (those dammn clouds!!), although I have struggled a bit with alignment.

I`m thinking of upgrading to a Meade ETX-LS 6" ACF Telescope with LightSwitch technology, although I have had some negative feedback on this so am thinking am I making the right choice.

I`m really keen, due to time constraints, to have a scope that will be up and running very quickly when I get outside, and thought that the Meade would be the one, but perhaps not..

Any thoughts really appreciated.

Mark

Hi Mark, welcome to SGL.

I would suggest getting to have a look through some scopes before you commit, local Astro soc's or other SGL members who live near to you may be of help. Do you want a GoTo, or would you consider an alternative?

Thanks to everyone for their welcome.

BAZ, it will need to be a GoTo as I don`t know enough about the night sky yet to be able to navigate myself.

Mark

Hi Mark, welcome to SGL.

I would suggest getting to have a look through some scopes before you commit, local Astro soc's or other SGL members who live near to you may be of help. Do you want a GoTo, or would you consider an alternative?

Hello Mr Dobby

I was trying to be helpful as I thought that not many people would know where the sleepy backwater of Maidenhead is :)

Hi Mark welcome to SGL, can I just ask you as you've shown Windsor/Maidenhead, Berkshire, do you own all three??

Phil

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum: I'm down the road in Salisbury. Personally, I think there's a lot to be said for goto. Go for it!

Ian

EDIT: I'm not just down the road at all - I somehow read 'Windsor' as 'Winchester'. Looks like senility is creeping in...!

HI from me too. If time is pressing then a GoTo is probably a good thing. I just dont know if a Meade LS would be good value for the cash. I also dont know how fast its slew speed is (the speed with which is pans around when you want to look at stuff). I find the Nexstar 4SE a tad slow (as is the CPC 800) compared to the HEQ5.

For the small amount of learning in setting up an EQ based mount I;d wonder if something like this Celestron C6-SGT XLT GOTO

Clearance / Pre-Owned - Celestron C6-SGT XLT GOTO might be a better bet.

If yo ahve the cash for the Meade LS you could always upgun and get a bigger SCT type scope on the CG5 mount.

Downsides - SCTs are quite heavy so dont be fooled by their small size AND you;d have to learn to polar align the EQ mount but thats not terribly hard and a GoTo alignment is generally pretty fast once you have a little practice. I can be up and running quite quick.

Do you have to be portable (ie shift stuff into a car) or will you use it from your backgarden.

Most of my viewing will be from the back garden (I`m quite fortunate that its quite long and Dark with very little direct light polution) although I`m sure that somewhere along the lines I will also want to take it in the car to view from alternative spots.

I think I`ve now discounted the MeadeLS based on all the feedback I`ve had (special thanks to Pete for keeping in touch with sound advice), so now its down to either Nexstar6 or 8 (although their seems to be shortage of stock on the 8s at the moment).

The Celestron C6-SGT XLT looks interesting, I`m a little concerned at exacltly how easy or difficult the EQ mount is to set up though (and does it have to be reset each time you view?), but the price on FLO is very appealing (if the offer is still valid?).

So a bit stuck/confused now as to which one to go for.

Mark

HI from me too. If time is pressing then a GoTo is probably a good thing. I just dont know if a Meade LS would be good value for the cash. I also dont know how fast its slew speed is (the speed with which is pans around when you want to look at stuff). I find the Nexstar 4SE a tad slow (as is the CPC 800) compared to the HEQ5.

For the small amount of learning in setting up an EQ based mount I;d wonder if something like this Celestron C6-SGT XLT GOTO

Clearance / Pre-Owned - Celestron C6-SGT XLT GOTO might be a better bet.

If yo ahve the cash for the Meade LS you could always upgun and get a bigger SCT type scope on the CG5 mount.

Downsides - SCTs are quite heavy so dont be fooled by their small size AND you;d have to learn to polar align the EQ mount but thats not terribly hard and a GoTo alignment is generally pretty fast once you have a little practice. I can be up and running quite quick.

Do you have to be portable (ie shift stuff into a car) or will you use it from your backgarden.

Thanks again for all the Welcomes.

I`ve taken the plunge and gone for the Nexstar6 SE (must of been the last one left in the UK shops!!)

Nexstar 8se`s are on backorder everywhere with projections of around mid to late June for receipt (the 6s were out of stock everywhere too but I found one in a shop in Sheffield)

It`s being delivered tomorrow, so if anyone has any influence - I`m looking for clear sky`s tomorrow night!

I`ll let you know how I get on with it

Mark

Archived