carrying a 250px skyliner Dob outside.

I've just picked up my new 250px skyliner Dob :)

Anyway what i'd liek to know is if its OK to pick it up by the tension handles to move it outside when I want to observe.

There is a handle on the base as well but I can't see how that helps to carry it.

Thanks ;)

That's what I do when I move it in one piece (by the 2 tension handles). Alternatively, I separate the tube from the base and carry the base by its handle.

Thanks. I find I can carry it fine in one piece using the tension handles, but was just worried about the weight on them.

I'd take the ota off first - take the base outside and level it, then put the ota on top. It's just a personal preference that reduces the risk of excess weight throwing anything out of kilter - plus easier to handle. :)

I agree with Brantuk (Kim) - split the two on this sized scope. it might be a bit more hassle but better than tripping with it and smashing something or pulling your back out.

my OO UK dob is easier to split but my process is

lift off the tube and with caps on both ends, rest it to one side in a safe place

carry the base outside and into position

carry the tube out and straight onto the base

same process on the way in although if there's even a chance of a breeze I bring the tube in first

leave caps off overnight after a session to avoid dampness damaging the optical coatings - this is more harmful that the small amounts of dust that will fall on the mirror overnight.

hope this helps and enjoy the scope!

cheers

Shane

I bought a collapsible porter's trolley from B&Q which is fine for moving it around where there are few obstacles , but after banging it on the freezer/cupboard/doorframe a couple of times I then found it is easier to just carry the scope in and out of out the back door with the tube off the base.

If you can do it in one go I don't think your going to do any harm by lifting it by the tension handles. I carry my 10" dob in one piece (I eat a lot of spinach) but my base has cut-outs in it that I use as handles.

Safety First guys !!

Always Lift and Carry any weight in a safe manner.

Not only do you protect your back.

You keep your precious gear safe !!!

I am a big bloke and can carry some heavy weights.

But im also a person who put his back out pulling a draw out of a unit......dropping it and sending a few grands worth of CD's scatering all over the shop floor.

Once you've done your back that's it, it'll never be right again and it'll always get you when you least expect it, don't risk it. And, you don't want to drop the scope either!!!!

Ohhhh yes, im 33 and my 'glass back' threatens to come back and haunt me when i sneeze or lift my boy up at a funny angle. Dam that crazy drunken night in Greece.

It really does stay with you doesnt it.

The handle on the mount is only for carrying it as a separate unit. Just remember to remove any eyepieces from the rack first, or you will dump 'em on the ground & spoil the night before you even start. You have to be a strong lad to carry the tube & mount together especially through doorways etc. Good scope though, only sold mine because of my poor old back.

• 2 weeks later...
The handle on the mount is only for carrying it as a separate unit. Just remember to remove any eyepieces from the rack first, or you will dump 'em on the ground & spoil the night before you even start. You have to be a strong lad to carry the tube & mount together especially through doorways etc. Good scope though, only sold mine because of my poor old back.

Well I've managed to do the lift and shuffle several times now without too much difficulty. I've found its easier for me to manhandle it into position in one piece than to break it down and leave the tube standing on its own :D whilst I place the base.

And watch as those little red friction rings can come off as they are only stuck on as you put the tube in the mount...

I actually put my caps back on as even with the caps the tube is not water tight and so far no issues but I may start leaving them off now!

Love those handles but I cannot bear to drill holes!

Mark

Archived