Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

baader lvi

astrokat

Looking at the LVI webpage the camera body looks similar in shape and size to the QHY5....

If so it will work OK; you just need to set up the necessary spacer and adjusters between the OAG and the imaging camera and the guide camera.

Ken

Hi Toby

I use and have been using an LVi Smart guider for over a year, its great but not very sensitive.

The lens registration distance is nothing like DSLR, my 40d needs far more length than the LVi. This is largely irrelevant as you’re not going to be able to OAG with it, It’s simply not sensitive enough and doesn’t like faint stars.

Cheers

Guy

Looking at the LVI webpage the camera body looks similar in shape and size to the QHY5....

It is the same size as the QHY5/Orion Starshoot Autoguider.

I recently tested the Orion badged version of this and it worked much better with brighter guide stars so I would call into question how well it would cope with use with an OAG as these tend to produce relatively poor guide stars to work with.

Hi Toby,

I got a Baader LVI smartguider from the Widescreen Centre just before SGL5, and I must say I didn't have much luck with it in Hereford. I thought I would attach it to my 100 APO PRO and piggyback my camera for some wide-field images. Easy!

The field of view must have been too small. When the LVI managed to find a guide star it was always close to the edge of the field of view and when it calibrated it lost the star every time. After the fifth time I gave up and just enjoyed the dark skies.

It is very frustrating not being able to see what the camera can see. In retrospect I think PHD/QHY5/netbook is a better way to go because you can see what's going on and, more importantly, what's going wrong.

So I'll be interested to see if you get this working. TJ's experience with off-axis guiding has put me off the idea for now.

thanks for all the coments guys i think ill still give it a go this is the only option ive got as i dont want to use a laptop if this fails hoping it wont lol ive got laptop and ive got a imaging source cam and also oag what else would i need (what wires could some one point me in the right direction) also how can i keep the laptop powered

thanks for all your help

toby

Archived