Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What astro kit are you bringing to SGL5...

Helen

High pressure now looking really good through to SGL5..its starting to look promising!

Mark

www.bristolweather.org.uk

Yes the charts are promising HP building in the next day or so and the west looks like getting the best of any clear skys......but be warned it will be COLD at night especially for camping so make sure you have good sleeping gear. Last year I froze my nuts of with an inadequate sleeping bag, I learnt from my mistakes and invested in a mummy bag plus the small heater blower from my obsy.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.... Last year I froze my nuts of with an inadequate sleeping bag.....

I was not the only one then ? :)

I'm wimping out this year and bringing our caravan...... :)

More room for equipment as well :p

Whoops...

And there I was thinking I lived on an Island in the North Atlantic with unpredicatble weather.

Over the weekend, I heard from a good friend of mine who spent a week at over 7000' at 28deg lattitude with a 25 inch scope.

the words that echo in my head goes like this :- "when Omega Centauri came up, it was like watching the full moon rise - it was that bright"

I'm hoping.. really hoping !

WO ZS80FD, WO ZS66SD = windy imaging setup

10" f/6.3 newt = completely calm imaging setup (this hardly gets used :))

EQ6 Pro

Canon 450D

DFK 21AF04.AS

A few cases full of wires and other astro related stuff.

Oh... and a Celestron C8 OTA + bits 'n' bobs that I may be selling :p

Anyone that's seen me at Kielder or Salisbury knows that I fill my car to the brim with stuff I might just need, but usually don't :)

Getting excited already,

Ian

Although I bought a lovely 10" FlexTube Auto from FLO a few weeks ago, I haven't had many chances to get used to it yet, so I'm just bringing my NexStar 4SE, binoculars and the dog.

Allan

I will be bringing my new C9.25 / CG5 goto kit with new eyepieces (7 & 10mm Pentax XW), current eyepieces (30mm XW and 13mm Ethos) and a couple of optical bits to sell - Televue Visual Paracorr and Televue 2x Powermate, both in original packaging. I'll also be putting the feelers out for a buyer for the 12" dob (see sig).

I may bring the 22x85 binos too 'cause they haven't been used for quite some time. The Canon IS 15x50's are always with me.

My 2 dodgy mk 1 EB's my Night vision scope and maybe the 25x100s on a tripod and an umbrella.... looking like saturday's the best bet for a flying visit unless I take the OM up on the offer of the Piccanto one which is the Sensible ecomonic option since it does 3 times the MPG of the Clio V6 but about 1/3rd of the MPH....

Well I dug the EQ1 & ST80 out yesterday, spent an hour cleaning the optics and adjusting everything and its looking looking like a new pin. Ive never used them together as the ST80 did guiding duty a long while back so I guess they are my new grab & go now :)

I bring my 4se along every time...and leave it in its rucksack while I sneak peaks through other peoples' gear...:)

So your 5se will be far from humble!

(I'd bring my 8se, but it takes up too much shoes-and-make-up-space...:):p)

Me and My Mate Nicnac have already looked at the van we are borrowing and decided we can't fit all our stuff in it...her Yaris has got to come too(!)

Me and My Mate Nicnac have already looked at the van we are borrowing and decided we can't fit all our stuff in it...her Yaris has got to come too(!)

Just take the Yaris out of the van and leave it at home - should free up plenty of space :)

Boots and shoes, Billy, boots and shoes....:):)

Plus, once we get the waggon on site, we aint shiftin' it til the end - there's no guarantee it'll start more than twice in one weekend!

Hence, the Yaris is necessary for quick trips out (e.g. to Hereford, for emergency make up supplies and such like...).:p

Can the star party veterans give me some tips on how to stop my tripod sinking into the ground at SGL5 ?. My setup will be around 50lbs so if the ground is soft I feel I could have an issue. At the moment I'm thinking of some squares of old carpet tile for the tripod tips to stand on but I'm interested in other / better ideas as well.

Archived