NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Payload Limits

Hi

Does anyone have a list of the payload limits for the EQ range, from the EQ3-2 up? It seems quite hard to find this out and I have seen different weights quoted, Skywatcher's own site does not give the limits which seems odd.

Thanks

Thats probably fair for the EQ3/2, I had a 120mm f8.4 refractor on one and it was right at the mounts limit for visual work.

EDIT: although I have heard of people using 150mm f5 refractors on those mounts.

EQ5 9kgs, HEQ5 15kg, EQ6 25kg

Ive never seen weights quoted for the EQ range below the EQ5

Depends what for?

Visual perhaps , not for long exposure photography.

I'd go with 50-75% of the quoted figures, even though some folks setups may be able to take more depending on a number of things, e.g balance, weight of scopes used in dual mount setup, flexure, the list is almost endless and v difficult to quantify as it depends on each unique equipment configuration !

• 9 months later...

I've been wondering about this too and found this page which lists all the skywatcher mounts and their payloads.Andrews Communications - Reflecting Telescopes

EQ1 equatorial mount with adjustable height aluminium tripod legs

EQ2 equatorial mount with adjustable height aluminium tripod legs

EQ3-2 World-famous medium duty equatorial mount with adjustable height aluminium tripod legs. Rated to handle up to 7kg. of payload.

EQ5 World-famous heavy duty equatorial mount with adjustable height tubular steel tripod legs. Rated to handle up to 11kg. of payload.

EQ3 PRO Go-To equatorial mount and tripod with V3.0 computerised hand controller. Rated up to 7kg. of payload.

EQ5 PRO Go-To equatorial mount and tripod with V3.0 computerised hand controller. Has periodic error correction (P.E.C.) and over 13,400 objects data base. Rated up to 11kg. of payload.

HEQ5PRO SynScan Go-To equatorial mount (white colour) and tripod with V3.0 computerised hand controller. Has periodic error correction (P.E.C.) and over 13,400 objects data base. Rated to handle 14kg.

EQ6PRO SynScan Go-To equatorial mount (white colour) and tripod with V3.0 computerised hand controller. Has periodic error correction (P.E.C.) and over 13,400 objects data base. Rated to handle 20kg.

NEQ6PRO SynScan Go-To equatorial mount (white colour) and tripod with V3.0 computerised hand controller. Has P.E.C. and over 13,400 objects data base. Has 3" wide D-style head. Rated to handle 20kg.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this thread back from the grave, but are the above values (still) correct?

I've seen a number of sites listing the EQ5 flavours as 9kg?

Sky-Watcher EQ5 - 9kg - http://www.opticstar...p?p=0_10_2_0_35

Sky-Watcher EQ5 PRO SynScan - 9kg - http://www.opticstar...p?p=0_10_2_0_30

What's the difference between the EQ5 and EQ5 pro?

Also I assume where ever it says just Go-To it means Synscan Go-to and we're not talking about something different again?

I find it odd Skywatcher's own webside doesn't give a definative list with specs.

Simply go to any astroshops websites like www.astroshop.eu ant check out mounts spec.

Well, the site you listed only features the "NEQ-5", and to make things even more fun, the weight limits are different to all the others above:-

Skywatcher Mount NEQ-5 - 10kg

Skywatcher Mount NEQ-5 Pro Synscan - 10kg

Its not just weight thats important the length of tube is, the inertial moment on a longer tube is greater as is the leverage on a knock, take any of above as a guide then suck and see, for visual I'm fine with an old GEM Gazer but others hate it. For visual use most of the mounts are fine the steadier you need it the bigger the mount simplesss...., dobs will give anything a run if the motion is smooth....

• 3 months later...

I use an 80mm refractor (about 2.5kg) on my guided EQ3-2 for imaging with a 9x50 finerscope, webcam & dslr and I wouldn't push it any higher or it starts to seriously wobble :p

wouldn't know about the others, usually says something on FLO when your looking at the mounts spec.

The counterweights are considered as part of the mount. The payload is anything that is attached via the dovetail ie telescope, camera, guidescope, eyepiece etc.

I have a 20Kg imaging scope on my HEQ6 + 20kg of counter weights. The HEQ6 will cope okay with a couple of provisos:

1) Balance in both axis becomes fairly critical- take some time to get this right.

2) Inertia- be aware that fast slewing with this kind of load creates a lot of inertia and the mount needs treating fairly gently- no sudden stops etc.

3) Power Supply- your power supply will need to be the recomended 12V 5A or better. Large loads will make the steppers struggle and crash the hand controller if power is inadequate (causing nasty sudden stops!! -see note 2)

• 7 months later...

Hey all,

I got a 8" Dob OTA (200/1200) mounted on a EQ5 with the dual axis motors. Got 10Kg of counterweights on it, and until last friday, i was able to get clean shots with no trailing up to 15 sec of exposures... I broke the RA connector yesterday night while traveling... I fixed it today the motor runs smooth with no load on it all controls are fine but now when i set up evrything, the RA motor is having a hard time giving a clean shot no trailing with only 4 sec exp... I'd say only 1 outa 5 will be clean and once i was able to make a 25 sec tonight perfect, But as soon as i change target or touch something I loose it all...

Anyone has an idea? Inertia problems like metionned?

Thanks!

Archived