Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have this set - but I do have the Baader zoom and it's brilliant. Crisp, sharp views - next to no reflections - beautifully machined - great eye relief - good fov - and light for it's size. Works smashing in both the dob and the sct.

Hope that helps as a general comment on Hyperions :(

I've got the full set, use them in my 14" f4.5 Dob and am very happy with them. They are not perfect to the edge at f4.5 but are probably better than anything else I could reasonably afford.

That said, if you are buying the full set in one hit maybe you could consider (say) 3 or 4 "premium" eyepieces instead?

I used to have the 8mm, 17mm, 21mm and have tried the 24mm in my 16" F4.5 dob and they are good but not perfect and do suffera fair bit of coma in the outer 30%. I found them very contrasty and gave me many happy hours.

I have since changed to the William Optics UWAN set of eyepieces and these are a definite step up in performance, only very slight coma and gives a much darker sky then the Baaders did.

Overall I liked them and think for the money they are very good indeed.

I've only owned one Hyperion eyepiece - the 3.5mm which I thought was nice but very bulky. Looking at the focal lengths in that set I'm not sure you will get full use from some of the FL's included - you may well find youself skipping some quite a lot so you won't be getting full VFM. It might be better to consider a smaller set of premum EP's as Gaz suggested - at least then they will all get the amount of use that justifies their price.

As a SAFE "first bet" you would not go far wrong with all / any of the 8, 13 & 17mm Hyperions. Outside of these, you may begin to see softening of the field edge with the longer focal lengths (21, 24, Aspherics etc.) OR, as remarked (and I agree), where the 5mm seems to be slightly less performing? Part of the problem I sense is [my] finding (typically) narrow exit pupils in that vast expanse of glass... It seems better in my ST102. :D

By all means buy the others (set) though - If you have the dosh! Although Hypes are now more expensive, they do retain most of their resale value. But be aware that the longer focal lengths may be bettered by e.g. the Pan 24 or 35, and Hyp 5mm, by quality "planetary" eyepieces etc. At least that's my ultimate equity-release planning... :(

LEF isn't really an issue for me as I don't where glasses but I do think FOV is (I think) as they will be used with my new Skyliner 250px or 300p and in my understanding from various post that is most needed using Dobs without any motors etc...

I find the Hyperons a tad bit to much money for me but havent seen anyother set that have a good rep. Any suggestions would be great..

But please remember I've never owned any EP's other than the supplied with my 5" reflector so comparing them to any is beyond me....

Thanks all

Johnk

I think they could be just what the Doc ordered..lol

More in my price range, still cant get on FLO to see if they sell them in a set with a nice wee case though...

Thanks

Johnk

Try again as FLO is working for me now.

I think the WO SWAN's would be OK at F/6. Not so sure about F/4.7 though. Thats just from reading reviews of them not by trying them personally I hasten to add - I'll be happy to be corrected by those that have used them in fast scopes of course :(

The problem is John without spending alot of money what are good at F4.7.

Just thinking at SWAN prices he might be able to add a MPCC to take away most of the coma that will be visible.

Those are good points Mick. I guess I was working on the basis of a budget similar to the cost of the Hyperion set the John mentioned in his opening post.

Personally I'd be thinking of splitting the set, so to speak. For example:

TS Planetary HR 5mm, 7mm, 9mm - £150 ish

Skywatcher Nirvana 16mm - £135

Skywatcher AERO ED 30mm - £130

Or something along those lines.

Archived