Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion

The problem with the SWAN eyepieces and any other eyepieces in the same price range you will find that these are not corrected for faster scopes such as yours, so you will find that towards the outer 30% you will suffer coma, which looks like little comet tails radiating from the stars.

Because you have got these eyepieces pretty cheap I would consider a Badder Multi Purpose Coma Corrector or MPCC, these are about £80 secondhand but once fitted will eliminate some of the coma, so instead of 30% you might have the outer 10% giving coma.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi,

I have The Baader Hyperion 24mm and the 13mm with the 21mm on order. I think they are fantastic. Rather than look at a full set, check out the finetuning rings which can change the fl of all the hyperions except the 24mm. You might only need to buy 2 Eps and the finetuning rings. If you are looking for a cheap case try the small flight case from Maplins for about 15 quid. I bought a couple at the higher price and they are still good value.

Baader Planetarium - Baader Hyperion Finetuning Ring

Small Flight Case : Caravan & Camping : Maplin

I've had mixed results with the Hyperion range. I bought the 8mm, 13mm and 21mm from FLO when they first came out (only £54 each delivered). I then added the 24mm from FLO and bought a secondhand 17mm to almost complete the set. I never bought the 5mm.

I found the 13mm and 17mm to be excellent eyepieces, really nice. No complaints at all.

The 24mm was complete garbage by comparison, i so nearly kicked the thing over the fence. The 21mm was better but the edge correction in the f5 newt wasn't great. And the 8mm about on a par with the 21mm.

I decided to break up the set, just keeping the 13mm and 17mm. The 24mm i sent back to FLO as i had a feeling it was faulty. Replaced the 8mm with a 9mm TMB Planetary.....much nicer but with a smaller FOV. And splashed out replacing the 21mm and 24mm with a 24mm Panoptic (which i couldn't afford to keep).

I then changed around again, letting the remaining Hyperions go and replacing them with a 16mm Nagler T6. And then changed again by selling the Planetary and the Nagler to buy two UWAN's (7mm & 16mm). And finally i was happy. The UWANs are beautiful and the 16mm is such a good workhorse, use all the time eyepiece. Ultra useful and worth every penny. And i preferred it over the Nagler.

So in short, rather than buy a whole set of Hyperions, just get one or two UWANs. Or one UWAN 16mm and a TMB Planetary.

Russ

I did have all the Hyperions bar the 24mm and whilst they were good value when they came out, I think price rises and new additions in that price bracket mean that they're not quite the bargain they used to be.

The 3.5 hardly even got used, it was just too much power for me but the rest of them worked pretty well in most of my scopes. But I did sell them to buy 3 Televue Naglers and the difference was very noticeable, to my eyes there seemd to be a lot more light coming through with better contrast and all the usual advantages that premuim eyepieces have. Of course you have to pay for that though!

Hyperions are good, but I think you could spend your money a bit more wisely.

Tony..

Yes, that's the bit i forgot to add. Hyperions are no longer a bargain. Baader hiked the price massively a little while ago from £69 RRP to £108 RRP. And then Skywatcher released the Nirvana for only a little more and then suddendly the Hyperion doesn't look good value at all.

Archived