NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How cool is this?

LukeSkywatcher

My 6 yr old niece just asked me if she could use my bins to look at the moon. I went outside with her with my Bresser 10X50s and focused them for my eyes and told her how to focus them for her eyes.

She was delighted. She said "I CAN SEE THE MAN IN THE MOON".

She is having so much fun that she is still out there with her gran and they are both looking at the moon.

That's half the hobby..............introducing new people to it.

It's just so sad that so many youngsters never even get to see a star filled sky. The enviroment they live in sees to that.

We used to take telescopes to an annual outdoor Centre at Whinlatter in the Lake District, to give talks, but primarily to show the youngsters the wonders of the sky. They were very popular, and the Ooos and Aah's were always plentiful :(.

Ron.

Awww thats really sweet. Its such a shame that we have so much light pollution that kids dont get to see a star filled sky anymore.

By the way 17th of April is Earth Day and a lot of people and business will be turning all their lights off at 8:30 for an hour.

My 7 year old sometimes comes out with me to have a look... which is always a problem as I have to remove all the camera's, try and find the EP's...

But that said - I do like him sitting out with me looking at the moon, jupiter, saturn etc...

It was last night - you'd never have guessed from where I live AND I notice on the Earth Hour site the pics are full of happy people cheering on Earth Hour in front of brilliantly lit public buildings DUH !

Maybe they thought it was the 17th as well :(

My 6 yr old niece just asked me if she could use my bins to look at the moon. I went outside with her with my Bresser 10X50s and focused them for my eyes and told her how to focus them for her eyes.

She was delighted. She said "I CAN SEE THE MAN IN THE MOON".

She is having so much fun that she is still out there with her gran and they are both looking at the moon.

That's half the hobby..............introducing new people to it.

That's great to hear. A new budding astronomer in the making.

I've been trying for years to get one or both of my sons interested but with no success. Well until now. My eldest has sat down and watched the last 4 episodes of S@N and all of Wonders of the Solar System. And he turned around to me on Sunday night and said "that's rather good" after seeing the latest WotSS. I almost choked up.

Lovely. Get her to tilt her head and look sideways at it and see if she can see the rabbit in the moon (which is what the Chinese see). Look at it upside down and apparently it's a woman with a bucket (according to Maoris).

Archived