Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M81 and 82

peter shah

Ive been messing and tweaking the collimation on the scope...wished id never started.....so this was only intended as a test shot i will probably add some more data to it at some point

80mins in Luminance and 10mins each in RGB all binned 1x1

cheers peter

post-17181-133877433543_thumb.jpg

Ah yes, the joys of collimating a fast newt! There is a sysytem you may have heard of called the Cats Eye or something like that, I think James has used it. It looks very good but I had trouble understanding exactly what bits were required for it to work, and when I mailed the supplier about it, he confused me even more!

That flux is the devils own job from central UK, possibly easier with a mono camera, but when I tried 20+ hours on it with an 8" f4 newt and a OSC camera all I got was frustrated! Very excited to see what you can pull out though.

Ah yes, the joys of collimating a fast newt! There is a sysytem you may have heard of called the Cats Eye or something like that, I think James has used it. It looks very good but I had trouble understanding exactly what bits were required for it to work, and when I mailed the supplier about it, he confused me even more!

That flux is the devils own job from central UK, possibly easier with a mono camera, but when I tried 20+ hours on it with an 8" f4 newt and a OSC camera all I got was frustrated! Very excited to see what you can pull out though.

i have a catseye auto collimator....i doesnt work with the corrector in place....thats why ASA recommend removing the corretor before collimating......i dont like the idea of collimating without a critical part of the optical setup. a barlowed laser works well, its just getting a laser collimator that holds its calibration....

Ah yes, I forgot the AG8 has the corrector.

In general though, how does the AG range hold collimation once set?

It holds collimation very well, I only messed with it because I knew it was very slightly off. The last time I touched it was September. If the temperature has been pretty stable it keeps its focus too, on a few of occasions I've not had to refocus for as long as a week!!:) I know how unbelievable that sounds! The key thing is not to over tighten collimation screws it puts unnecessary stresses that make the scope sensitive to temperature changes, but the carbon tube and CNC machining makes a massive difference to its overall stability.

Archived