Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Could be a bargain

Doc

I've got a 1993 Broadhurst Clarkson & Fuller catalogue with that scope in it. It's a Revelation 16:18 (2 aperture options were available in the same tube / mount). It's designed to be single person managable and can reputably be set up from a dismantled state in under 10 minutes. Assuming that this is the 18" mirror then it's an F/4.5 but, curiously, no other details of the optics are given in the catalogue. I'm guessing it might be an Oldham Optical mirror set but there are other options. I think the scopes cost around £2.5K new but I've lost the 1993 price list so I might be wrong on that.

A great project opportunity if you have somewhere to keep it and don't mind investing a few hundred £'s more on it.

In its day, the 16 inch model cost £1,700, while the 18 incher was £2,300. Mirrors were made by Oldham Optical Ltd. There was a planned 20 and 24 inch version of the scope, but I never saw one.

I once looked thru the 16" one (you had to load steel bars behind the mirror, I assume as the structure was designed for the 18"). I believe that it was designed by Alan Marriot (sometime member of Loughton AS). The owner set it up with little help from the onlookers. The design looks quite modern, given its age. (Showing my age too!)

Cheers

PEterW

PS Interesting to see that inflation has not had much effect on the price.... Lightbrige 16" approx 1800 even now!

Archived