NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

first viewing

john shep

hi everyone,i am new to the game although have been interested for years,i got my first scope 3 weeks ago which is a SKYMAX-102 SYNSCAN,due to weather conditions,tonight i was able to use it, tho the moon was small and not to bright i was amazed with what i could see, as i get used to it nodoubt i will see more if anyone has any sights that will be easy for a newcomer to locate that would begood. john

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the sgl.

Mars and saturn of course are available at the moment, Orions belt and sword are interesting, you may even try to dig out the eskimo nebula for a rewarding "starter challenge".

Also - Sky at Night magazine is due out around now and they list useful monthly objects to aim at.

Hope that helps and good luck with your new hobby :eek:

Hi John and welcome,

The Moon is always amazing, Saturn and Mars are really well placed for viewing at the moment although Jupiter has gone into the evening tighlight, but will return as a morning planet soon.

You might want to check out my site astronomycentral.co.uk, but do have a look at Planets To See In The Sky Tonight | astronomycentral.co.uk for what planets are on view, updated daily.

Or check out the Messier list, for some nice open clusters. M36, M37, and M38 in Auriga spring to mind. You have to see M42 in Orion, the Perseus Double Cluster is amazing...and many more.

Congrats on your new scope and enjoy!

Archived