running out of USB ports

MishMich

I've realised that my 3 laptop USB ports are suddenly all taken:

QHY5

EOS1000D

Synscan USB-RS232 dongle

I'm not a great believer in USB hubs, but then I've not tried USB2 ones.

I want to also be able to run:

GPS USB dongle

Some kind of controller (like a games controller)

As yet I haven't got hold of the games controller. I am thinking that this would mean a 4-port hub, which would give me 6 possible connections.

So, I am wondering which two of the above are best left with a direct USB connection, and which used with the hub. Also, do people have any recommendations for these? I tend to go for Belkin, Linksys or 3com stuff usually.

M.

The only thing I would say is make sure it's a powered hub - then get any one! Same with the order - i have a USB>Serial, Meade DSI Camera, USB Connection to my 350d and serial converter for my mount all on the one hub, connected by a 5 m usb cable. So I am downloaded my large 8MPixel subs as well as 1 second guide frames and the corrections to the mount all through the one USB Hub and it works a treat!

Mish,

I run a 4 port powered hub from a 12V>5.5V Maplin convertor which sits under the mount, connects to the 20Ah battery and everything gets connected to it and then one USB runs back to the laptop.

I had to label each port with the name of the camera etc installed through the port on the hub to ensure it was "seen" everytime it was connected.

Ken

Most of the companys you mention do usb hubs which are very useable these days - but do get a powered one as allready mentioned - and try the Astronomiser site - they do one that's guaranteed to work with all their camera mods so should handle all the kit you mention with no probs. I have one and it works with camera, mount, mouse, plus a spare for your dongle/games controller.

It's the A92JH, Auto DC Power Regulated Adaptor.

Input: 12V 3.3A max

Output: 1.5/3/4.5/5/6/9/12 VDc 3A max

It comes with a 12V cigar plug and the correct outlet plug to suit the DC connection on the hub.

I run the USB hub on the 6V setting... no issues.

Ken

The D-link one seems to be rated quite highly, although I've never tried any of the D-link kit. I have a Netgear 8-port ethernet hub, which works fine, connected to a Linksys wireless router (about 4-5 years old now), which has never been any problem.

M.

I decided on a wireless numeric keypad rather than a game controller, as I'm more likely to use that for other things than a gamepad - and a wireless numberpad is cheaper than a wired gamepad.

Going by that then:

QHY5 = USB2

EOS1000D = USB2

GPS dongle = USB2

USB-RS232 = USB1

Wireless number pad = USB?

So, the USB1 & USB? devices (mount and handpad) would be best going into the two spare PC USB ports, and the three USB2 devices (cameras & GPS) into the USB hub?

Thanks.

M.

yes, that is why I put USB-RS232 as USB 1. The mount RS232 cable only runs to about 9600 baud, so I'm not sure there's any advantage in having it USB 2 compatible - apart from ensuring anything else on the same hub runs at USB 2. If the adapter is USB1 then the mount won't be either.

I had a look in Maplins, and there's not a lot of choice. The one there you suggested is one of only a couple that have a power supply - but it's quite chunky, there was a 4-port hub by the same company, but there was only a fiver between them. I still like the look of the D-Link ones, except that I can't get them on Amazon prime, which adds a fiver shipping cost. Will sleep on it.

M.

It's the A92JH, Auto DC Power Regulated Adaptor.

Input: 12V 3.3A max

Output: 1.5/3/4.5/5/6/9/12 VDc 3A max

It comes with a 12V cigar plug and the correct outlet plug to suit the DC connection on the hub.

I run the USB hub on the 6V setting... no issues.

Ken

I wouldn't recommend running it from 6V as the absolute max voltage on some of the IC's in your electronics will be 5.5V. Often there is no regulation in the devices that run from USB and they will run directly from the supply.

Regards

Kevin

Archived