Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Yippee...my scope has arrived

A huge thank you to First Light Optics for getting my Skywatcher Explorer 150P telescope to me so quickly. Fantastic service.

I have the scope set up on its EQ3-2 mount, have collimated it and now need a clear sky to give it a whirl.....can't wait.

I didn't anticipate the whole set up being as big as it is after I promised my beloved that she wouln't notice it!

Many, many thanks to everyone for all your fabulous advice so far. I am sure I will be back for more as well as reporting on my observing experiences of course ;)

So what to look at...have you got any good books? Turn left at Orion etc...Make sure you catch Mars before it starts to fade, mind you its pretty small...Also try to catch M35/36/37/38 before they start to disappear in to the sunset..

Mark

Thank you Mark. I am keen to view the Orion Nebulae, pleiades, M42 for starters and take things from there really. Since I was a young child I have always been fascinated by Orion in particular. I have a set of glow in the dark star charts which are great but I will add Turn Left at Orion to my shopping list. ;)

Thank you Paul for the advice. I think that a decorating session could be added to my to-do list and I have a feeling that my wallet may take a hammering tomorrow in the clothes and shoe shops of Hereford.....it will all be worth it though. We are going to Mexico in April and I am still to ask permission to go to the SGL star party near Hereford when we return. ;)

I have the same problem - my partner wanted a scope to suit the room decor. She was thinking of something like ye olde telescope - all mahogany and brass. We nedde up with a SKy-Watcher 200 on an HEQ5. In the living room it looks like NASA took over one corner of the room ;)

I do have some pretty scopes that will look better in the room but we have to find storage for the 200.

The 150 will be great - good luck with that and wiching you clear skies.

I have this scope and it is excellent (was delivered on Tuesday from the nice guys at FLO), had some great views of Mars, Saturn and it's moons, and of M42. Spent one night just looking at Saturn... though has been cloudy every night since....

I have the same here, my scope rather beautifully inhabits one corner of the dining room, I think it looks fab, but my wife has said I need to find space to store it (spoilsport).... ;)

Good luck with your new scope.

I used to keep a 10" Dob in the back room, and one of my wifes friends thought it

was a water tank and remarked on why we didnt just keep the tank in the loft like everyone else.

Needless to say it had to go after that.

Well done Paul on getting your new 6" scope. If you want any help just send me a message. As you know I am only a few miles from you if you require anything.

By the way at the last meeting of Hereford Astro Society I tried to sell a copy of both Turn Left at Orion and the Cambridge Star Atlas at £10 each. If you are interested let me know they are still for sale.

Mark

I have the same problem - my partner wanted a scope to suit the room decor. She was thinking of something like ye olde telescope - all mahogany and brass. We nedde up with a SKy-Watcher 200 on an HEQ5. In the living room it looks like NASA took over one corner of the room :eek:

I do have some pretty scopes that will look better in the room but we have to find storage for the 200.

The 150 will be great - good luck with that and wiching you clear skies.

Thank you Astro Baby......still waiting for clear skies here in Hereford but I am sure when they arrive I will not be disappointed. :evil6:

My partner is still threatening to paint my new scope!

I have this scope and it is excellent (was delivered on Tuesday from the nice guys at FLO), had some great views of Mars, Saturn and it's moons, and of M42. Spent one night just looking at Saturn... though has been cloudy every night since....

I have the same here, my scope rather beautifully inhabits one corner of the dining room, I think it looks fab, but my wife has said I need to find space to store it (spoilsport).... :eek:

It's good to know Andy that you rate the 150P....I am still to get the opportunity of clear skies but maybe this weekend....fingers crossed. Like you I think the scope adds a certain something to our front room...an air of sophistication maybe....something the me as the owner lacks :evil6:

Good luck with your new scope.

I used to keep a 10" Dob in the back room, and one of my wifes friends thought it

was a water tank and remarked on why we didnt just keep the tank in the loft like everyone else.

Needless to say it had to go after that.

lol......it really is funny the reaction the scope has on visitors to our house. Most people look at me like i'm a bit weird .... but it's interesting to see how they often then want to talk about stargazing and admit to knowing more about things astrological than they origionally let on. I'm making a stand and it's staying prominantly displayed .......heck I hope my beloved doesn't find this post :eek:

Well done Paul on getting your new 6" scope. If you want any help just send me a message. As you know I am only a few miles from you if you require anything.

By the way at the last meeting of Hereford Astro Society I tried to sell a copy of both Turn Left at Orion and the Cambridge Star Atlas at £10 each. If you are interested let me know they are still for sale.

Mark

Many thanks Mark...I will definately take you up on that. Yes I am interested in purchasing Turn Left at Orion from you!

I think Mark I am going to need some advice on the best way to combat dew when using the scope. Hopefully clear skies this weekend.

Archived