Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What 80mm refractor would you vote for?

OK, just had a successful imaging test using an ST80 to give me a wide field option to complement my C8. The ST80 + 1000D gave me about 3 deg compared with 1 deg for the C8, and to be honest I was quite surprised at the quality that could be achieved with the ST80. However, close up you can see the colour fringing. So the question is, which 80mm (or 90mm?) do I go for (£500-£800). It would be used on an EQ6 with 1000D.

I've had one vote for a WO Megrez 80 II FD, what else should I be looking at?

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/96389-st80-imaging-experiment.html

It is..

for more money, and less of a chance that one of the best optics experts in the world has set it up!

The Meade is a superb scope for the money...having used one for 2 months I can happily say that

The WO80FD is a great scope, I've had mine for about 4 years now, it's a keeper. Best budget has to be the Skywatcher/Orion/Celestron ED80. Best of the Best has to be a TMB/LZOS triplet, I have seen second hand WO version of this telescope going for around £650.

Archived