Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEW Upgraded Skywatcher Explorer OTAs

FLO

Skywatcher have announced a new range of Explorer P DS Newtonian reflectors that will undoubtedly appeal to astro-imagers.

The new telescopes have the same highly regarded parabolic primary mirrors and 0.5mm thin secondary mirror supports as the original series but also feature a Dual-Speed 10:1 ratio focuser for enhanced focus control and a shorter tube length with the secondary mirror positioned closer to the primary mirror for convenient prime-focus photography.

The new Explorer 150P DS and Explorer 200P DS will run alongside the current Explorer series but the new Explorer 250P DS has replaced the original 250p.

skywatcher_explorer_200P_DS_OTA.jpg

For further information and up-to-date prices of these and other Skywatcher reflector telescopes please see our website.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They look very nice, but I have some questions, when you say the mirrors are the same, does that mean the secondary mirrors are the same as the ones in the old 200P as well? Or are they bigger for astrophotography like the ones in some newt astrographs? Are they still f5, or does moving them towards the primary alter the speed? Come to think of it, if they are closer to the primary, the secondary would need to be bigger perhaps? Or would that affect contrast too much?

Is there much weight advantage over the old 200P?

Thanks

JJ

... when you say the mirrors are the same, does that mean the secondary mirrors are the same as the ones in the old 200P as well? Or are they bigger for astrophotography like the ones in some newt astrographs?

The secondary mirror supplied with the new 150P DS and 250P DS are unchanged but the Explorer 200P DS has a new larger 58mm secondary (the regular 200P secondary is 52mm).

would that affect contrast too much?

In theory, yes, but in practice any change in contrast will be slight.

Are they still f5

Yes

Is there much weight advantage over the old 200P?

The weights are unchanged, other than perhaps a few grams.

Hope that helps :)

I'm looking to place an order today (my birthday!).. will I be ok for visual only on the New Skywatcher 200P DS, or do I need to stick with the original.

I sure hope it the new version. It looks the business.

Rob

Many happy returns Rob :). I would imagine you'd be fine with the 200P DS for visual with the idea that you might need an extension tube to reach focus. Not sure on that obviously but generally focus point for visual is a bit further out than the imaging one.

Tony..

Cheers Tony!.. Sure thing on the extension tube.. just was not sure if thats included as the picture seems to show a 2" eyepiece. I know my 150P comes with a 1.25" & 2" extender included. I'd like to think the 200P DS is same?.

Is the picture incorrect?.. As the write up claims a 25mm 1.25" eyepiece.

Rob

... I know my 150P comes with a 1.25" & 2" extender included. I'd like to think the 200P DS is same?

Yes, other than the dual-speed mechanism the focuser is the same as the single-speed model.

Is the picture incorrect? As the write up claims a 25mm 1.25" eyepiece.

I'm not sure where you are reading that, the telescope is currently supplied with a 2" 28mm eyepiece.

HTH :)

• 1 month later...

Still on my 'next scope' quest..... Advice here and there tells me an 8" scope on my HEQ5 mount for imaging is pushing it so I am now thinking about the 150P DS.

One question though, if the secondary on the 150 is the same size as the standard 150 then will imaging with the 150P DS and a 1000d produce vignetting?

I am thinking this 'might' be the scope for me if this aint going to be too much of a problem.

Gary

Imagers like thier mounts to have plenty of reserve load-bearing capacity so I understand the reasoning. The HEQ5 Syntrek or PRO 'will' carry an Explorer 200p DS and is suitable for imaging but, yes, an EQ6 would be better.

Regarding vignetting: It is interesting that Synta/Skywatcher chose to enlarge the 200p's secondary mirror but not the 150p or 250p's. I guess they must consider it unnecessary. It is still early days and, so far, the 200p DS OTA outsells the 150p and 250p by quite a margin so we don't have a lot of feedback on the Explorer 150p DS. But, Tony (whippy) is currently testing an Explorer 150p DS so in time we will know more. We will also have an Explorer 200p DS with us at SGL-5, if that helps :(

Steve

Do SW plans to make "imaging" versions of 130P f5 newtonians? Would be cheap "something like a refractor" for imaging wider fields with less demand on mount accuracy, and no color problems etc. :D

The 150/750 is quite popular in Poland for various imaging yelding good results (and modded in different ways). At Astrokrak.pl best selling scopes:

1. 8" Dobsonian

2. SK1309 EQ2

3. BKP15075EQ3-2 -- the 150/750 :(

4. GSO MT-800

I'm looking to place an order today (my birthday!).. will I be ok for visual only on the New Skywatcher 200P DS, or do I need to stick with the original.

I sure hope it the new version. It looks the business.

Rob

Don't forget the new version has a bigger secondary, It probably won't make a huge difference for visual but it certainly won't help.

I wasn't planning to, but I'll try and attach L'Missus' 450D on a session to see what kind of results WRT vignetting (if any) and abberations come up. going by the forecast, it might be a while yet though!

Tony..

Archived