NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NEW Upgraded Skywatcher Explorer OTAs

FLO

Oops! I forgot you don't use a DSLR. Didn't mean to make extra work for you. Sorry Tony :(

Have just been looking at our sales of Explorer DS telescopes. Currently we have sold only the eight-inch and ten-inch versions, not the 6-inch, which explains why we haven't had any feedback on that model.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Imagers like thier mounts to have plenty of reserve load-bearing capacity so I understand the reasoning. The HEQ5 Syntrek or PRO 'will' carry an Explorer 200p DS and is suitable for imaging but, yes, an EQ6 would be better.

Regarding vignetting: It is interesting that Synta/Skywatcher chose to enlarge the 200p's secondary mirror but not the 150p or 250p's. I guess they must consider it unnecessary. It is still early days and, so far, the 200p DS OTA outsells the 150p and 250p by quite a margin so we don't have a lot of feedback on the Explorer 150p DS. But, Tony (whippy) is currently testing an Explorer 150p DS so in time we will know more. We will also have an Explorer 200p DS with us at SGL-5, if that helps :D

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve...... :( I may well end up with a 200P DS now, depends on what James tells me RE the C8.... :D

Unfortunately SGL5 is a bit too far away for me, I would really like to go and put some faces to some of the folks on here.

Anyway I'll be in touch shortly with an order for my new scope.

Cheers,

Gary

I wasn't planning to, but I'll try and attach L'Missus' 450D on a session to see what kind of results WRT vignetting (if any) and abberations come up. going by the forecast, it might be a while yet though!

Tony..

Hopefully you will get a chance to report on that sooner rather than later Tony, I look forward to your findings.

Gary

@ Gary,

You'll find that 200PDS a cracker of a scope & it's views are as they say "Out of This World".

You Guys @ FLO, i'll review the 150P for you :(:D, that's if Tony does not get the chance to do so.

Cheers

Nadeem.

I had the Celestron version of the 200P a couple of years ago Nadeem, it was a cracking visual scope, wish I never sold it.

I have no doubt the SW 8" will be a cracker, and even better now its been 'optimised' for imaging. My only concern is the weight on my HEQ5 for imaging, but Steve has kinda put that concern to rest. I may still wait 'till Tony does the 150P DS review but you know whats its like, the missus says go for it, so go for it I will, sooner rather than later....... :(

Gary

You Guys @ FLO, i'll review the 150P for you :D:D, that's if Tony does not get the chance to do so.

Okay Nadeem, Tony will be kicking it's tyres for a while but when he is finished you are welcome to borrow it ... assuming he doesn't decide to keep it :(

Steve

My only concern is the weight on my HEQ5 for imaging...

Assuming you can setup in an area sheltered from breeze and don't intend mounting it together with a heavy guide-scope, then I am sure the HEQ5 Syntrek or PRO will do nicely :(

For what its worth. I have both the 200P DS & 150P. They both have their strengths and weakness. The 200P is a belta on deep sky and a fine planet scope. The 150P is great on wide field DSO work and a cracker on the planets, razer sharp!.

Rob

Assuming you can setup in an area sheltered from breeze and don't intend mounting it together with a heavy guide-scope, then I am sure the HEQ5 Syntrek or PRO will do nicely :D

I intend to guide the mount with a ZS66 and Meade DSI Pro Steve. I have seen ADM guide rings on your web site that I will probably buy with the scope for the ZS66. My garden is very sheltered, house on the North side and trees around the other 3, so as far as shelter goes I think it should be fine. I am not sure if you would class that as a heavy guide scope though...... :(

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the 150P review I'm doing, I'm currently ironing out some kinks (mainly flexture and collimation) but I did manage a very quick 5 minute test with the 450D and vignetting doesn't appear to be an issue so users of DSLR's need not worry ;). Once I get these minor issues sorted, I'll post a full review.

Tony..

Archived