Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 2174 - The Monkey Head nebula in mono 17/01/10

Whippy

Much like other nebulae such as the Pacman Nebula, this object really shines when it's given the false colour treatment with narrowband filters. I was planning on doing a galaxy in Camelopardalis (NGC 2403) but for some reason I went for this. Still, it's a nice little image, perhaps when I'm able to buy the OIII and SII filters to complement my Ha filter I'll give this object the attention it deserves.

Anyhoo, NGC 2174. Total exposure time, 4 hours (24 x 10 mins) taken with an Atik 16Hr camera with IDAS and IR cut filters in the nosepiece through an ED80. Guided by a QHY5, ZS66 and PHD, all atop an EQ6 pro.

Tony..

post-13439-133877421954_thumb.jpg

I have never seenm this nebula. Looks very big. What is the Arc Min of this image? I see you used both a Light pollution filter and an IR filter. Not sure you need both as the LP filter spectral response should easily make the IR nm wavelengths?

Anyway - you image is well worth the 4 hours! Nice tight stars, nice out region nebulosity! Well done.

Thanks again everyone :).

Paul, IIRC the FOV is 38 x 51 arcmins using the ED80. I think your DSI 3 uses the same chip (Sony 285) as my Atik so it should give you the same FOV on your ED80.

Whilst I was aquiring my imaging kit, I remember reading that the newer IDAS filters have IR cut built in while the older ones do not. As I bought mine second hand and not asking the seller how old it was, from the first session I double stacked the filters and never got round to testing if the IDAS had IR cut or not. It's a habit I've got into now and I'm not in the mind to test it these days as we get so little clear skies. I don't get star bloat and that's enough for me!

Tony..

Archived