Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Peter Shah in the Metro

NickH

One of my workmates put me on to this. Two nice shots by Peter in the Metro. usual "telescope poked through his roof" buncum writing, and the images are "not" of the Milky Way and are "NOT" Hubble comparable (Peter knows this of course)...journalistic license gone loopy again...

#BUT

huge congratulations to Peter for again helping to highlight our niche hobby...even though the article sadly written about his excellent imaging is complete and utter tosh

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very nice images. he's admitted loads of times that his pictures are more about art than science because of the changes he makes to the picture is totally different than what he actually saw. probably media writing their own rubbish. i've been in the paper a few times before, and the things you say and what is actually written is very different. you just look at it and think "where the hell did they get this from". lol

it was quite a surprise today when a friend from London said i was in the London Metro, it turns out its in the Times, Telegraph, the Sun, Daily Mail, Mirror and a few other local papers ....i was approached by Wales News Agency who had spotted my pics on the web.......that was a few months ago.....i forgot all about it and didnt really expect anyone to take that much notice of the article.

i did laugh at the story and a couple of the comments.......im not an office worker and the fact that they are comparing my shots to Hubble laughing4.gif yeah right!

the chap writing the article really had no clue at all.....and it shows

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -21983001/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -shed.html

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... tling.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/**** ... -shed.html

peter i tried to post, but i had to become a member, and I dont want associated with any of 'that lot'....mind you my words are not worth wasting on those in bred hillbillies.

i couldnt believe the people commenting as if they were the experts, but in fact no nothing about which they are speaking.

everyone on heres knows whats possible with a good scope, a mono ccd, and narrowband filters.

and theese 'hubble' comments....have they seen the hubble shots.....

we live in an age with enlightenment and stupidity all rolled in to one.

i was really angry at some of those comments

good images though! and nice to get some press!

paul

Nerds usually have intelligence in a specific field though Ron...these monkeys do great justice to the "complete works of Shakespeare" quote (the infinite monkey cage?....lol)

Yes, a poor labeling choice Nick, the word I really had in mind would have clashed with the censor.:)

Once again Pete has left himself signed in on the computer at work ..... I disagree with one part of the copy in the printed media ... They called Pete "an office worker" ... I can confirm, as one of his colleagues. that he is not a worker!

:) Priceless!

Well done Pete. There is so much interest in astronomy now being fuelled by the fabulous images that are coming from both professional scopes and amateurs. Very exciting times

Hehehe, I've just read the Suns version. It sounds like you've been couped up in there for months on end and suddenly popping out with your pics :) And what exactly did you "cut a hole in the roof of your wooden hut" with? A carving knife by the sound of it:)

As Martin says though, any press can only be a good thing, lets hope we get some more exposure too.

Tim

Well done on giving astrophotography some proper 'exposure' Peter! :)

(getting my coat ;) )

Actually, i really like this comment from the dailymail site: "Would'nt it be nice to switch the lights out for a few hours every night across the uk , I wonder how many people would put their head outside to gaze in awe at the heavens ?" :D

As an afterthought, was it wise for them to let the world know how much your kit's worth? I'd make sure everything's double-locked.

As an afterthought, was it wise for them to let the world know how much your kit's worth? I'd make sure everything's double-locked.

well the question that was asked was 'how much have you spent up til now' of course this has turned into 'how much is your kit worth' funny how things get twisted:rolleyes:

Peter,

Congratulations, your work deserves to be shown to the wider world. :D

It's fantastic you have made the national media, but I can't help cringe at the dumbed-down elements of the story...an office worker who cut a hole in his shed? Ah well...

When I said you were well known at the Astro meet (moonwatch) a few months ago, during that Radio telescope chat, it was rather prophetic, huh? :)

Archived