Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42

philj

What with bad weather and ill health, last night was the 1st imaging session I have been able to do in a month.

I wanted a subject that would test the WO MK4 flattener working with the 1000d on the 102ED at F7 and M42 fills the sensor up nicely so away I went. I was hoping for more time before the mist set in but only managed 2 hours at ISO 800.

Darks and flats calibration, no cropping at all, this is what came out the camera. A few curves and levels with a couple of Noels actions but thats about it on the processing front.

I'm happy that the field of the 102 is now tamed. A bit pricy and one heck of a lump but the WO MK4 works well.

Philj

post-14930-133877420814_thumb.jpg

Now that IS good. The flattener thing is always a nightmare. Ian King tells me sometone tried the new WO adjustable one on a 127 Meade and found it wanting. Have you tried it on yours yet? It has done a great job here.

I might be inclined to select just the brighter parts of the image for a bit of Unsharp Mask because the data looks really strong. Anyway, a great return to the cold and dark!

Olly

Thanks Olly

Yep Ive tried the Mk4 on the 127 but it doesnt really need it I feel. I also found it difficult to focus, I think that was down to me really but I had no problems on the 102. This Mk4 is the adjustable one and works well on the 102 and my ZS80

I had a bash with teh unsharp mask and its tightened things up a bit more, thanks for the tip. I very rarely sharpen my images but in this case its made quite a difference.

Phil

post-14930-133877420845_thumb.jpg

Thanks for teh kind comments guys. It was nice to get out imaging again and so nice to have a clear couple of hours on M42. It seems like its always been a battle against the weather for me in the past when imaging this subject, just so nice to have a good bash at it. Is it too much to ask for another couple of clear hours to add some more data do you reckon:)

Really great shot Phil, it reminds me that I must give a go at M42 before spring ;-).

Just one question: you didn't mention but you took different framesets for the trapezium area and the outer part I suppose. How did you distribute the total exposure between them ?

cheers,

Janos

Really great shot Phil, it reminds me that I must give a go at M42 before spring ;-).

Just one question: you didn't mention but you took different framesets for the trapezium area and the outer part I suppose. How did you distribute the total exposure between them ?

cheers,

Janos

Hi Janos

Yep forgot to mention I processed the main 2 hour image then composited in ps the burnt out core with a stack of 10 30 second exposures. No9t really enough, should have done some 1 minutes as well but by the time I had the 2 hours the cloud was coming in.

Phil

Thanks George

Heres my last process, sharpened only M42, ironed and removed some green from the background.

A bit better but I darent do anymore, I am trying to get out of the overprocessing habit.

post-14930-133877421375_thumb.jpg

Archived