Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

400yrs ago tonight in Padua,Northern Italy....

beamish

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well that's just P'd on my bonfire ! :)

apologies.

edit "..........a man took a tube with lenses at both ends and took the first ever telescopic view at Jupiter and recorded his observations and gave us the "Galilean Moons" ( though actually he named them after his Patron) telescopic astronomy had taken a leap !

Thank you !"

any better ? :)

....a man took a tube with lenses at both ends and took the first ever telescopic view at a heavenly body, Jupiter and recorded his observations

The following day he was down to ye olde telescope shop asking for an upgrade :)

I viewed Jupiter tonight and some of the moons but I foolishly agreed to go the shops so I didnt get as much Jupiter time as I would have liked. A also hadn't set the scope up but just about made a viewing in time before I lost it in Suburbia!

Galileo was probably looking down on me and laughing whilst uttering the word....NEWB!

Harriot, as mentioned was way ahead of him, and drew vastly superior lunar maps, and sunspot solar observations. Shame he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Common mistake for many, even book publishers!

I dont know why Galileo is remembered on the 400th birthday of the telescope. He didnt invent it.

No he didn't but he made significant improvements over those available at the time that allowed him to observe the moons of Jupiter, prior to this they weren't upto the job

Didn't publish during his lifetime that's sadly true

Yep. His observations were only published "post mortem". I know the history books say one thing (which they are wrong........KIND OF). Most of us know that it was infact an Englishman who first observed the moon through a telescope. Harriot may not have made the history books, but to us astronomers we KNOW it was HIM and not the Italian.

Harriot is the unwritten "hero".

a man took a tube with lenses at both ends and took the first ever telescopic view at a heavenly body, Jupiter and recorded his observations

...and then his missus yelled up the stairs "You going to play with that thing all night ? Your supposed to be getting on with putting up the new kitchen units"

....neither was Harriot immortalised in a song by Queen....

Galileo (Galileo)

Galileo (Galileo)

Galileo - FLO!

Steve at FLO has a refractor put aside for meeeee

For meeeeeee

For MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

(Huge guitar solo and headbanging). :):headbang::):headbang:

(Ever so slightly altered lyrics...)

...and then his missus yelled up the stairs "You going to play with that thing all night ? Your supposed to be getting on with putting up the new kitchen units"

I lol'ed. Especially coming from a woman .. :):D

....neither was Harriot immortalised in a song by Queen....

Galileo (Galileo)

Galileo (Galileo)

Galileo - FLO!

Steve at FLO has a refractor put aside for meeeee

For meeeeeee

For MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

(Huge guitar solo and headbanging). :):headbang::):headbang:

(Ever so slightly altered lyrics...)

Wasn't there a "mama mia" in there somewhere? Rather Italian themed song. So why "BOHEMIAN Rhapsody"? :mad:

Archived