Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 Skyscan mini review

russ

Well my HEQ5 Skyscan arrived today. Played around with it for 15mins and what can i say:

well start with disappointing!

Offers nothing over the LXD75 sadly. I now see why Telescope Service in Germany were less than enthusiastic about this mount. It's nothing more than a glorified EQ5 with tacky plastic bits.

Dinkytoy is something else springs to mind. Anyone expecting a scaled down EQ6 as the pics suggest will be oh so disappointed. Think of it more as a plastic airfix kit of the EQ6.

To give it some credit, it would certainly be fine for scopes upto 6" or perhaps a 8" SCT. But for imaging i seriously doubt the ED100 will work with HEQ5.

Worst of all, the LXD75 looked so much better standing in the corner of the room.

If anyone wants a HEQ5 Skyscan I know where there's one for sale!

Russ

and it has the most rediculous counterweight shaft in the history of the Telescope!

My old EQ1 had a more effective counterweight shaft.

oh here's a pic of the two:

image.jpg

Russ

Mmmmm not impressed then Russ, ive had a TS 5" f9.4 Frac on the HEQ5 and worked no problems also the 8" Skywatcher Reflector. Ture it isnt a EQ6 but still imho it's a step up from a EQ5 can't comment for the LXD mount though.

As Rob says see how you get on tonight matey..

James

having a bad day today and the HEQ5 maybe baring the brunt of my frustration. supposed to be going holiday (which i've been looking forward to for 6 months) but the weather, after 5 solid weeks of sunshine, has decided to break today. And i now have the prospect of a wet and stormy week. Fed up and depressed doesn't get near to how i feel today.

The HEQ5 not feeling any more robust than the LXD has topped it off. Providing it hasn't sold (replied to a wanted ad) will give it a fair crack next week, next month or next year or whenever the clear skies return.

Russ

I'm suprised to hear your report Russ, i would have thought the heq5 would have been better than that. I've never seen one in the flesh, so can't really comment. Perhaps you will change your mind in actual use, but first impressions are a hard one to shift. Perhaps the EQ6 is the way forward. Seems a shame though.

The ED100 looks good on the meade though!

Sorry to hear that Russ ive heard a lot of good things about the HEQ5 , I had a LXD 75 Mount my self and to be honest i thought it was a good mount and the goto was great. seemed to find things no problem.

it's okay scrub my intitial thought. In a better frame of mind now, weather looking better. Holiday is back on and very much needed :?

Also been playing with the HEQ5, tightening everything up and getting used to the mount in general. Very pleased now. Seems excellent with the ED100 and much better with the 8". Phew!!!!

LXD75 still looked better but that's not much good in the dark. My wife has ordered the HEQ5 back to the shed. She didn't mind the LXD but not the HEQ5. :D

Russ

The lxd mount does look better Russ maybe paint the HEQ5 one white with pink dots?

Perhaps i could get the tipex out and paint the HEQ5 white...that'd look well nice!

Thats it Russ Show her who wears the trousers

Don't argue with the boss is the rule i live by :D

I bet you get great views from those two

Very happy with both scopes Steve. Although I do need to replace the dovetail on the 8". I think it accounts for 50% of the vibrations, just too much flex.

and it has the most rediculous counterweight shaft in the history of the Telescope!

My comment on the conterweight shaft still stands though. Just take a look at that pic and compare the LXD and HEQ5 conterweight shafts.......what on earth were Synta thinking?

Russ

Trouble is, even with both 5Kg weights, I still can't balance an 8Kg tube. The counterweight shaft needs an extension. Just a 100mm would do. Arthur!

Also, is there a better dovetail on the market to replace the Synta jobby?

Russ

Russ,

1) I was reliably told that more weight nearer the mount would be better than less weight further away (I asked this question in another thread).

2) If you come across another dovetail, please share details :D

3) Rev looks great - still pleased with it (this is on my horizon, hopefully before Kelling)

:D

1) I was reliably told that more weight nearer the mount would be better than less weight further away (I asked this question in another thread).

I saw that thread and also heard it before. Ant asked the question on UKAI sometime back when he couldn't balance his Explorer 200 & 80mm guidescope.

2) If you come across another dovetail, please share details

Will do, although again, I think Arthur will be the man. Would using the medium dovetail currently on the ED100 be an improvement I wonder? Perhaps less flex & twist....something to try.

3) Rev looks great - still pleased with it (this is on my horizon, hopefully before Kelling)

Rev 8 is superb, especially for the pultry sum paid. As Rob will testify, M13, M57, M27, M81, M82 and M92 were all stunning the other night. M13 was a mass of stars, while M27 showed some nice detail. Imagine what it will be like from Kelling???? Are you still looking forward to it Daz? I can't wait btw.

Russ

Archived