NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another hello!

Helen

Hi

Just found this site via a link on cloudy nights - good to have a UK site to ask questions on (must say that CN has proved very helpful so far though).

So a bit about me...

I live and work in South Wales. Did Applied Maths at Uni and enjoyed the astronomy element a lot so bought e telescope. Then work intervened.. and found that getting the time, energy, inclination, stamina to set the 8" telescope up AND clear skies together was rather difficult. So hobby took back seat for about 10 years! Then saw the ETX and thought this might be more usable. It was, although still not easy enough for a quick half hour viewing. Recently bought a Willaim Optics z66SD which I LOVE! its small enough to stay set up so even in summer I can have a quick star fix easily. My new Giro mini mount and tripod arrived today so can't wait for it to get dark! (ETA was tomorrow, hope that fooled the clouds and rain!).

I'll next be looking for advice on suitable wide field eyepieces - but that's for another forum.

Helen

Hi Helen, welcome aboard! Always good to see new faces here. The ZS66SD on a Giro mount is an EXCELLENT combination and perfect for grab and go quick peaks. I myself have a 80mm scope on a little SLT mount which i find great for quick setups and (more importantly) quick pack ups!

I have no experience with the ETX scopes, but lots of people here rate them highly.

As for wide field eyepieces, im sure you know about the naglers hehe, others will give you more bank manager friendly alternatives im sure!

Clear Skies

Gordon Copestake

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum..

I used to have an ETX-70, great scope for finding your way around the sky..I still miss it sometimes. :D

Very helpful bunch on here..Any questions feel free..

Greg....originally from S.Wales now residing in the land of clotted cream and scones..

Archived