Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Seven misty sisters...

ollypenrice

This was from a planetary night - good seeing but poor transparency with quite a significant high haze. Guest Noel Clark looked after the capture side (Atik 4000 One Shot Colour and Tak FSQ on EQ6.) We got an easy three hours' worth and the autoguider hung on because the seeing was good even if it was squinting a bit to see the guide star. The processing, such as there was any to do, is mine. I think the OSC has done well here with fewer internal reflections than I was getting in the mono version last month.

Olly

733144686_745XZ-X2.jpg

Great result Olly! "Subaru" :icon_eek: looks an easy target, but when one tries he/she sees that there are surprises. It is pleasure to see it's fine structures in any depth! No matter how many you had seen, you can't get tired :) At least for me!

Thanks guys. One day I'll get a real one of the Sisters, eh? There are reds in there to be had but they aren't easy. One of the best was by Daniel Marquardt from his remote observatory near me but I was dismayed to see that he has recently died from cancer at just 27. Terrible. A great imager, he was, and judging by an Email I had from him he was, more importantly, a very nice young man.

Olly

Hi Olly, super image. I'm going to have another bash at this with my manual guiding technique (if you can call it that):)

Incidently, after your comment about your friend passing away I looked up some of his work. Stunning! Such a shame and should remind us all to "seize the day!" I hope no-one minds but there is a link here to some words and images with regard to Daniel Marquardt. I would encourage all to take a look, very inspiring.

Requiem – Daniel Marquardt | Universe Today

Scott

'Super image Olly, what causes the slight 'diffraction spikes' on the stars?

Sorry to hear about the passing of a talented young man.

Jordan'

Hi Jordan, I can only assume it is some kind or reflection issue. I got quite different artifacts using the mono version of the camera. Indeed they were more pronounced. Bright stars seem to me to be slightly less of a pest in the OSC but it is early days to give a clear answer on this. I think this is because having the filters on the pixels gives less chance for the light to fly back and forth within the optical path. I think the quality of star images in the OSC is very high though. I will look at this in the Astronomy Now article.

Olly

Archived