NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New member from Lincolnshire, UK

george7378

Hi everyone,

I'm George. I'm 15 years old, and I currently have an expanding interest in astronomy and spaceflight. I don't spend much time observing, because I don't have my own telescope, but when the night is clear, I ride over to my Grandad's house to use his Sky-Watcher 130PM (130mm) Newtonian reflector. I found and observed the Andromeda Galaxy using star charts, and I have seen the cloud belts and moons of Jupiter, as well as close-ups of our Moon. I have also seen the double star cluster.

My next targets are going to be the Orion Nebula, and Betelgeuse, as well as another look at the Andromeda Galaxy (it was truly magical when I finally found it), but the weather is terrible at the moment.

When I'm not using the telescope, I use binoculars to find the Moons of Jupiter, and I observe the craters and other features of our Moon.

I also track and observe satellites, and I have seen the ISS and Shuttle, plus two -8 Iridium flares, and countless rocket bodies and smaller satellites when I go and watch on a clear night.

When I'm not stargazing, I am training for my Private Pilot's License, attending Air Cadets, and using Orbiter Space Flight Simulator to fly space missions, learn more about space flight, and make movies about space. My YouTube channel is below:

YouTube - george7378's Channel

I hope to get my own telescope soon, and then I can truly begin observing the sky as a mainstream hobby.

Thanks, George.

Hello George. It's good to welcome another youngster to the SGL Forum. Good luck with your first scope purchase, and if you need any advice, this is the place to ask for it.

Keep up with the pilot ambition too, might lead to a great career.

Ron.:icon_eek:

Warms my old heart to see teens developing an interest as I did , you'll find a great bunch of friends here with loads of advice so welcome aboard and welcome to a great new hobby.

JohnH.

Archived