Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece upgrade...

dweller25

Hello,

I have bought a 1040mm focal length APO for visual planetary observation and would like some eyepieces to match it's performance.

I wear glasses for short sight and prefer to observe and draw with them on, although this is not always possible with my current eyepieces.

I always use a x2 Celestron Ultima Barlow mated with one of the following :-

12.5mm volcano top Orthoscopic (x166), eye relief = 10mm

10.5mm Televue Plossl (x198), eye relief = 8mm

9mm volcano top Orthoscopic (x231), eye relief = 7mm

8mm Televue Plossl (x260), eye relief = 6mm

I am looking to replace the above four eyepieces for a step up in sharpness with around 15mm eye relief - any ideas ?????

Getting more sharpness and longer eyerelief is going to be quite a challenge as the eyepieces you have plus the Ultima barlow are no slouches in the sharpness department.

I suppose things like Tele Vue Radians, Burgess / TMB Planetaries or William Optics SPL's might be the answer as they all have 15mm+ eye relief, even in the shorter focal lengths.

John

I'll second what John says about the WO SPLs, the 6mm model at least, on a 770mm f/l refractor. It's extremely comfortable for me to use, and I'm also short-sighted, although not extremely so. I regularly remove my specs when at the scope, only replacing them when viewing naked-eye, but have used it with specs on, and the eye relief is very good. The 6mm SPL is a very capable EP which I always seem to reach for, regardless of target! M42 was a recent candidate... very sharp stars, and satisfactory nebulosity, even from my murky, urban skies, albeit with an LPR filter.

I think you'll struggle to get good eye relief with orthos, but they will be pin sharp. If eye relief is the driver I'd look at the pentax xw's. I've heard great things about the 7mm and I believe they give 20mm eye relief across the range. I have the 14mm and find it very comfortable viewing with the twist up cups. I have the WO spl 3,6 & 12.5 and they don't come close to the view or comfort from the pentax.

HTH

Michael

Yeah there is that too... :headbang:

But if you's want eye relief and sharpness...? Maybe I should open myself for offers on the SPL's? :D

If I had anything left from my recent financial splurge, I'd take you up on that. :D

Radians come in 8, 10 and 12mm focal lengths and have good eye relief and sharpness.

I can't seem to find reliable specification (10mm ER?) for Tak LEs but they come in 7.5, 10 and 12mm f/ls.

Another one to consider are Pentax XFs, which only come in 12mm and 8.5mm, but seem to be excellent. Nice and cheap too.

Bear in mind I haven't used any of the above - I'm just going on their good press :headbang:

...But it will be a short life if the missus finds out !!!

I just hope my better half does not find out how much a Nagler 31mm costs ..... I imagine it would be quite uncomfortable to have it extracted ........:headbang:

Another reason to buy orthos I guess .......

John

I wear spectacles while observing and used to use a Meade series 4000 eyepiece set which I really struggled with especially at higher mags so I eventually invested in 3 Pentax XW's (30mm 20m and 10mm ) which do have 20mm of eye relief and the difference is almost unbelievable.

They are expensive but I believe eyepieces make up 50% of your viewing quality so in my opinion well worth the money.

I may change telescopes as time goes on but I feel my eyepieces will stay with me for good.

Archived