Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

BBC News Website - Dark Sky Award to Galloway Forest Park

JimBobs63

Hi,

Just read this on the BBC News Website this morning. Good news for those living in Southern Scotland and Northern England....

BBC NEWS | Scotland | South of Scotland | Forest park given Dark Sky honour

Enjoy some dark skies up there! :rolleyes:

Shame there's no chance of us experiencing anything like that "down south"..... :)

Jim

Shame there's no chance of us experiencing anything like that "down south"..... :)

Jim

Ah but there is in the likes of Exmoor, Devon, Wales... OK, still a bit of a travel for those in the south east though.

The news report suggested that other national parks in the UK were now considering whether this was of interest to them; hopefully Galloways actions will lead to other national parks trying for the same status and who knows, even a general increase in awareness :rolleyes:

James

Yeah that's a good point, James.

I did really mean "in the south-east"....!

Jim

:rolleyes: Closest for you then I guess will be Norfolk. The Kelling area may not be anything like as dark as Kielder or Galloway but at least they get a lot more clear nights...

James

I heard this on the 8am news on Radio 2 as well. Which is likely the most listened to news radio program in the UK, all the more so since Wogan is set to retire soon.

Great news, and Steve Owens comments were good I thought.

TJ

I certainly believe other parts of Britain deserve to get some kind of 'protected' Dark Sky status. Where I live in Wales is very dark- but it has no kind of National Park, AONB or other special status. It's just remote and dark- the question is how long can it be kept that way?

A local campaign group has started to try and get the Cambrian Mountains elevated to at least Area Of Outstanding National Beauty status and one of the reasons they cite is to preserve the pristine night sky of the area:

Cambrian Mountains Society - landscape - introduction

At the moment the area has no special status so more or less any 'development' can take place, and we all know where that leads......

• 2 months later...

Archived