Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Messier 42...

RichieJarvis

Everyone is probably sick to death of good 'ole M42 by now, but I decided to have another go with Narrowband in Ha/OIII/Hb.

And here it is:

2009-11-08-M42-Ha36x127-OIII32x120Hb6x100-Process1-Small.jpg

Capture Details:

Capture Dates: 2009-10-26, 2009-11-04, 2009-11-06

Scope: Williams Optics ZS66 @ F/5.9

Camera: SXV-H9

Guide Scope: Astro Professional 102ED @ F/7

Guide Camera: QHY5

Exposure (Ha): 4572 seconds (average 127 second exposure)

Exposure (OIII): 3840 seconds (average 120 second exposure)

Exposure (Hb): 600 seconds (average 10 second exposure)

Click here for a larger image, and previous versions

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Richie

OOOOooooohhhh that is SUBLIME! To be sick of M42 is to be sick of life so no worries on that score.

This is exquisitely ethereal and fine. How fascinating it is to see such different structrues emerge in narrowband. Must try that combination when my monster mosaic is done.

Olly

great structure around the trap Rich!

I just watched the lunar impact Sky at night on iplayer. There was this guy in the background with Pete Lawrence, looked just like you, except he never had a beer can launcher :icon_eek:

I could look at images of M42 all day and not get bored. I still think it's the jewel in the crown of the night sky. It was my first target visually and with camera and I love returning to it.

This certainly is an interesting image - different to most I see and I love the fainter wispy neb.

Thanks guys/gals....

Nope - only 10 x 10 minute Hb subs so far - its a work in progress (once this flipping weather does a runner....) I want to grab some more Ha and OIII data as well - 20 minute subs methinks!

Its funny - I always end up taking Ha first, and therefore take lots more Ha than OIII/Hb - maybe I should reverse the trend, eh?

Cheers,

Richie

Congratulation Ricky on a great image and an unusual take of a classic.

I have a quick question - are the images captured with the camera attached to the scope in prime focus or have you used a barlow/powermate. The reason I ask is the Z66 must normally produce a very wide field image.

Archived