NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi From Light Polluted London

Jupiter Martin

Hi I am Martin and a complete novice at this so be prepared for some stupid questions.

My 6 year old daughter is doing about space and the solar system in school and thought I would try and show her some stuff. I had a pair of old binos knocking about the house so we went out and had a look at the moon and jupiter she was amazed (Me too). So looking to buy a first scope I done the cardinal sin and just bought a Meade DS2090 goto set up of e-bay. waiting for delivery. Wish I waited and read a bit more on here.

Thats me and hope to be a regular on here

Martin

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Martin,

Welcome to SGL.

I live just down from Heathrow and as such suffer from terrible light pollution. You just have to choose what to go and look at. The moon, planets, double stars and clusters are all great, DSOs much less so.

Andrew

And a big welcome from a fellow LP Londoner too! That said there a fair bit to see despite the orange skies. I started out with the moon and the brighter objects and found it a good way to start getting use to the 'scope and then start looking for harder objects up there. Have fun and a bit of patience: it only gets better.

Roge

Hi Martin,

A warm welcome to SGL, don`t be disappointed in the Meade 2090, it is a 3 .5" refractor with reasonable quality objective, a member of our Society has one and is quite happy with it, I presume you got the set of MA eyepieces also, your views will improve by investing in some Plossl eye pieces and a decent 2x Barlow, enjoy the forum.

John.

Thanks for that John.

Yea got the 5 Eyepieces with it yea i was thinking of getting some Meade 5000 to put in it. I got the scope for £130 brand new still waiting for it to come and can't wait to start the journey. I don't have great expectations after what I have learn't over the last week so any improvement on the binos will be good for know.

I also have another expensive hobby keeping a marine Aqurium running so will need to balance the books lol

Martin

Hi Martin and daughter and welcome,

it wont be long before she starts helping you as they learn very quickly,

meade 5000 eyepieces are quite expensive but worth the money and you can use them on your next scope so watch the book balance.

regards ron.s.g

Archived