Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron handsets

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Adam,

As usual the web is full of hacks and work rounds. Have a read of this and see what you think. Basically they are saying replace the GT handset with a GPS/CPC handset and then load the GT firmware to the handset.

New Upgradeable Hand Control Available from Celestron

January 2006

Celestron is now offering the new user-upgradeable hand control for owners of older telescopes. This hand control was introduced with firmware version 4 and is compatible with all NexStar GPS, CPC, i Series, SLT, GT, StarSeeker, CGE and AS-GT telescopes. The only NexStars this hand control will not work with are the original NexStar 5/8 (non-i Series).

The correct firmware must be loaded for the particular model of telescope you are using - in fact, you can share the same hand control with different telescope models by re-programming between uses. When you order the hand control from Celestron, to insure it has the correct firmware pre-loaded, you should specify the model of your scope and select the correct hand control:

GPS, CPC or i Series: hand control NXW210-NXS0403

CGE or AS-GT: hand control NXW210-GEM0410

GT or StarSeeker: hand control NXW210-GT - note: This is NOT a user-upgradeable hand control. This is the version 104 non-upgradeable hand control. For GT or StarSeeker owners, I would recommend purchasing the GPS/CPC/i Series hand control (part number above) and using a Windows PC to load the GT firmware - read this for details.

At the time of this posting, these hand controls are only available directly from Celestron, though it is expected they will eventually be available through astronomy equipment dealers. The cost is $150 for a replacement hand control or $75 if you trade-in your old hand control. Contact Celestron via their web site (www.celestron.com) for additional details and current availability.

After receiving a new hand control, you may wish to familiarize yourself with the process for upgrading the firmware - click here. You may also need a manual addendum or my user's guide for the new features - see the Manuals section of this web site for the latest available.

I also found a EQ mod for GT/SLT but for the life of me cannot find it again. Whether it worked or not, have no idea.

Regards

Russ

Just found another site now that claims the entire list of goodies available on the SLT can be unlocked even for the Tasco Starguide - that includes SkyAlign, Solar System Align, Auto Two Star Align, One Star Align, Identify and Constellation Tour. Also it's possible to switch the GT and Starguide to the V4 controller. Plus it claims that all GT's made after October 05 had the new controller straight from the factory.

104.0 and 4.03 - Just prior to discontinuing the GT series (they have been replaced by the SLT series), Celestron upgraded the hand control to include the features found in their latest scopes. Version 104.0 shipped with all of the StarSeeker scopes and the last of the GT series beginning in October 2005. Version 104.0 is not a user-upgradeable hand control. Version 4.03 is available for GT scopes by purchasing the user-upgradeable hand control separately. New features include SkyAlign, Solar System Align, Auto Two Star Align, One Star Align, Identify and Constellation Tour. This version also allows use of NexRemote via the RS-232 port on the bottom of the hand control. Read this for more information on the new hand control.

Russ

Hi Adam,

great stuff. although I'll hang fire on the controller upgrade for now but it's nice to know I can one day have skyalign etc.

i do need that Baader dovetail adapter for the 80GT straight away, so i'd better get on your website and order that up.

thanks for all the info Adam

Regards

Russ

Archived