NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron handsets

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Gordon's Tasco Starguide (Celestron Nexstar GT) is anything to go by, it should be a cracking piece of kit. I've been quite surprised just how well the GT works. GOTO is accurate and reliable. Motors are lot quieter than the Meade LXD motors.

For those who can't afford the SLT, it maybe worth noting that the GT can also take the standard synta dovetail and scopes upto 4kg. And despite whats written in some places on the web, it does have an active PC connection in the base of the controller.

Oh and there's one on Ebay for £40 right now. The adapter to take Synta dovetails is available from David Hinds for £52. The PC control software is free from the internet.

Regards

Russ

Cheers Rus for that link!

I think I'm going to go for it, cheers for holding off the bids Gordon.

If this can take the sentinel then it can definitely take my st80 can't it? Also probably my dads 70mm Vixen...

Yup, but you'll have to buy the dovetail bracket from someone as it's the GT version not the SLT version.

Whats wrong with duct tape? :)

What bracket is it that I would need?

Grant/Gordon, there's also one in David Hinds Classifieds section. It's the 114 though, so has the stronger fork arm. The guy wants £125ono

http://www.dhinds.co.uk/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&query=category&category=Telescopes

The adapter is here on Dhinds:

http://www.dhinds.co.uk/pages/browse_More_DHINDS.php/Baader%20Planetarium%20Products/11/23

Make sure to order the right one. There's one for the 60/80 GT and one for 102/114

Russ

Hi Gordon,

The SLT 114 and 130 certainly have a larger fork arm compared to the smaller refractor models.

Also while surfing the web for Rob I noticed that the SLT 130 had an upgraded tripod along the lines of the Meade ETX field tripod. Where the base was hinged at the back with a wind up bolt at the front. Thus the SLT 130 could be EQ too.

While going through the settings on the Starguide controller, i noticed that there was an option to set the mount as AltAz or EQ!!

Perhaps Adam may read this thread and confirm for us.

Russ

Thats very interesting indeed! If the SLT could be used EQ that would make it the best grab and go mount on the market today. Especially for the price. It would be interesting to see the tasco starguide next to robs 60slt to see the differences. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for other secondhand slt's

I didn't know there were 2 versions of the mount. interesting. I wonder if the SLT mounts have 2 versions too.... Would change what can be mounted on the different versions.

Adam confirmed there is only one SLT mount for the range?.

Rob

Archived