Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Astro Images

Tinkerbell

All the images were taken between the second and third of June at one of our dark sky sites, Derwent reservoir. The 350D was in the 105 triplet mounted on the EQ6 and was left to do its own thing, totally unguided. The length of the exposure was between 10 and 30 seconds but earlier I had tried 90 to 270 second shots but had not set the ISO high enough and noticed star trails so it was thought short exposures at High ISO should give us an idea what the combination of kit could do at this site. The sky never got properly dark and we packed up just before the sun rose.

I am so happy that you posted this cos apart from the mount i have roughly the same setup.

And with a bit of effort i could get images as good as these.

I must admit i did not have clue how these would turn out and when I showed these to the real astro imagers in our society they wouldn't believe me at first until one of the lads who was there confirmed it. There is now a mad scramble away from wet film photography and I think Canon are going to be selling quite a few more DSLR's. Theres roughly ten of us using various Canon models at the moment and I can see that number more than doubling soon.

Dedicated CCD cameras produce fantastic results and I can't see some of the lads giving them up but for ease of set-up and use these DSLR's can't be beaten. After setting the mount up and attaching the scopes all You have to do then is slot the camera in and pick a target, no calibrating guide scopes and their software and no tangle of cables to the laptop. No heavy duty leisure battery to hump about for the laptop either. After watching and helping someone manually guide a scope for four, forty five minute exposures using a normal SLR with slide film, I fully understand why I never wanted to try that type of imaging.

So anyone out there new to imaging like me, have a go it is so easy, if a clumsy Neanderthal like me can get results first time out everyone else will have no problem.

Not easy to nail the focus like you did though MD.

I will definitely second that! The focusing is much better than I usually get, any tips?

Captain Chaos

Well remember this is the first time I have used a DSLR on a telescope so I am still learning and picking tips up myself, but the one tip I was given was go to a moderately bright star, set the focus to what looks good and fire off a couple of images. Then magnify the image on the preview screen if it looks good fine if not move the focus slightly one way and try again. Failing that get someone else to try focusing and see if your eyes agree with their attempt. Next try a hartman mask I think they call it. Its all trial and error I just got lucky in that one of the lads had a go at focussing and everyone agreed that he had it closest, so off we jolly well went and Hey Presto the images came out fantastic, well not all of them but that is the beauty of digital imaging over wet film, if you up-[removed word] on wet film you won't find out till they are processed but this way You find out straight away. Nearly forgot I also use the Canon C-Finder, it's like a magnifying diagonal that fits over the viewfinder and has dioptre adjustments.

MP, just a thought , have you had the camera modded to inhance the HA range, i did notice that you have some nice red edges to m27

Rog

Not yet Rog but I am thinking about it, I would like to get used to the camera and see what results I can achieve. One of the lads had his done by Astronomiser and he can't wait to try it out but the weather wont cooperate , it only took a day to get it modded by Andy.

Just checked and my image was 30 seconds. One of the lads took the same image through an FLT110 with a 20Da at 30 seconds on the same night and you can see the difference with regards to the red response. See below.

image.jpg

HMMM YES IT DOES BRING OUT A BIT MORE FOR SURE ON MY SCREEN ANYWAY , ANDY IS A GOD FRIEND OF MINE WE STARTED OUT IMAGING AT MUCH THE SAME TIME , STILL DEBATING IF TO GET A SECOND HAND ONE FROM ANDY OR A NEW 350D THEN GET IT MODDED , I THINK ANDY WANTS AROUND £800 FOR THE 350D MODDED , I SEE YOU CAN BUY THEM FOR £443 BODY ONLY . SO ITS KINDA NEARLY DOUBLE COST TO HAVE THE MOD, DOES NEED THINKING ABOUT I GUESS,

ROG

Archived