Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2nd Light Baader Ha Filter and Modded 1000D

Psychobilly

Decided to possibly "waste" the first clear night for a few months with another go at using the Baader 35nm "Broadband" Ha filter on the BCF modified 1000D.. moon was low behind the trees but was washing the sky a bit so possibly the right sort of conditions to "benefit" from the filter...

Initially spent some time on the Veil Complex but soon got drawn back to NGC7000 IC5070... different framing to normal as I wanted to have more "space" around IC5070...

This time I left the Hutech IDAS P2 fitted as well...no real reason for this aprt from the fact I like to leave it on the nose piece of the FFIII and would be really p'd off if I ever forgot to re-fit it before a nights "Colour" imaging...

Got 3h 40m of subs mainly 600s @ ISO800 with a few 900s subs @ ISO800 thrown in for good measure...

Stacked in DSS 3.3.0 - Some useful new bits to play with in there compared to 3.2.2 and processed in CS3... still playing with DSS settings for processing these "narrowband" images of a OSC camera...and I haven't really got the hang of processing mono in CS3...

[ATTACH]25385[/ATTACH]

Peter...

Ok uninstalled and re-installed DSS rather than just replacing the files...

Seems to work better and you can actually access the help files as well although they havent been updated to reflect the changes in V3.3.0

Re-registered , and stacked the files with library flats and bias for good measure...

Slightly different approach to the processing of the tiff as well but may have clipped the black point a bit...

[ATTACH]25388[/ATTACH]

Hi Res (still jpeg) here

Very nice Peter, good contrast and detail coming through.

As for CS3, I have found it easier to keep the stacked tiff as a 16bit RGB image and work with that before finally converting to greyscale. Seems easier to work with the curves.

If you use the "Narrowband mode" of DSS, you might need to alter the star detection threshold, I got all sorts of swirly wierdness with that!!

Cheers

Tim

Thanks fro the comments...

cheers TJ... It was when I tried the Narrowband super-pixel mode that things started to go strange... I had checked each sub and they all passed muster but I was ending up with an image that was in perfect register on the top left driffting out towards the bottom right as if a few frames had been incorrectly scaled...

Also for the CS3 tip... about greyscaling towards the end... something else to play with and now to try and suss out HaRGB ....

Peter....

Excellent result Peter, an Ha filter is on my Santa list this year. :)

Btw, I too was getting bad rgb channel alignment at times, but this was with the older DSS versions too... even when I specified rgb channel alignment in final processing. I eventually figured it out that I should use AHD interpolation (I was getting some sort of astigmatism) and also choosing a different reference frame. It's not perfect, I still end up reregistering occasionally on a different reference frame after the stacking had gone south, but I put it on less than perfect optics. Oddly, the RC frames never have that issue, but the canon L lens does... guess which one cost me more? :)

Daniel

Archived