NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

About to order my Skywatcher 130PM, but still can't decide

I have about 800$, but the plan is to spend about 400 on the Skywatcher 130PM and I'd really like for my first telescope to be computerized -- As far as I understand it, being able to point it at one star, and from there it will find out which one it is and what the others on the sky are. Would this be possible with the Skywatcher 130? I have also been thinking about getting the NexStar 6 which costs about 800$, any advice on that? That thing just seems so easy and the specifications seem to match what others recommend.

it would if you bought this one

Reflectors

Skywatcher 130p synscan AZ GOTO £259

goto mount when set up will take you to different stars and planets that are available in the sky at that time of day,

abit more complicated to use, i have a celestron cg5 gt goto mount that i`ve had for 2 weeks and only just getting to grips with it.

Phew, good thing I haven't bought it yet...

One little question: How does it work when it finds a planet or object? Does it show which one it is on the small panel? Stupid question probably, but I just need to be sure. :)

Phew, good thing I haven't bought it yet...

One little question: How does it work when it finds a planet or object? Does it show which one it is on the small panel? Stupid question probably, but I just need to be sure. :)

With a goto mount, you have to do a basic alignment first.. ie, level the mount, make sure it is pointing north and centre polaris (depending what mount you will go for) Then when that it done you select from the LCD display on the hand controller to do either a 1 star or a two star alignment, if you select the 2 star alignement, the telescope will then slew to a bright star (usually capella or vega) and then will ask you to centre the star in your eyepiece, and then same with the other.. U will then be able to select from 1000's of objects to feast your eyes apon :D

Hope this helps..

Dave.

When you select what you want to see it will take your telescope to it, then if you want more info about the object it will have all the info about what you are seeing stored for you to read with a click of a button.. :)

Hi, I have the Skywatcher 130p synscan AZ GOTO scope and it is very good. When you have done the alignment of the goto mount, you select from the objects menu, either planets, Messier Catalog or whatever you want by using the up and down arrow keys on the bottom of the handset, select like jupiter then it asks you do u want to goto jupiter, say yes and the scope moves and then the handset will beep when it finds the object.

Make sure that you enter the date in MM/DD/YYYY format, as the first time I did it, I entered it in DD/MM/YYYY and the system was wayout. Also once aligned, the handset got a identify option which is will display on screen the object you are viewing based on the co-ordinates. Hope this helps.

once set up you select from a long list of objects available i.e. jupiter, then when you press goto on the keypad it points to it, then you can press info on the keypad and it will tell you abit about the planet, very good once you get the hang of using them, i`d say for less than £100 more it`s a good investment, if like me you are not very good at finding you`re why around the night sky yet.

One last question - With the mount that comes with it, can the SynScan computer be connected to a laptop? I know it uses the serial port, but I've read that people use a USB adapter though. Also, another question: If I were to control it through the laptop, what planetarium software can I use? I only know of Celestia, and that's not designed for interfacing like this it seems. Found this list: http://astro.nineplanets.org/astrosoftware.html

Also, long overdue: Thank you for all your answers! :)

Hello Nemesis,

Before you take the plunge, you may wish to step back and think about what you will get for your money.

A motorised mount allows you to keep an object in view by turning the scope to compensate for the earth's rotation. Motors are also required for goto mounts which will point the scope at your chosen object. The mount itself - equatorial or alt-az must be beefy enough to take the weight of the scope. These capabilities come at a cost and hence the scope included in the package is smaller and cheaper than it otherwise would be.

Unless size and weight is a consideration, I would recommend buying as big a scope as you can afford. The bigger the aperture, the greater the light grasp, the fainter the objects you can see. Why not consider a dobsonian eg Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian or Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX Dobsonian you will be able to see vastly more with them.

What are you giving up? Motors to keep an object within the field of view - not a problem - just periodically nudge the scope. Go to capability - yes this is a problem, but a good one as I will explain.

I started with a go to mount (still have it) but eventually found it somewhat boring to just go to an object, look at and then move on. I had no idea where the objects were nor was I properly looking. With a non-goto mount you have to find things yourself - the thrill of finding them for the first time is tremendous and you tend to linger longer, really looking.

In short, goto is a quick fix and the price paid is that you get a smaller scope that won't let you see as much. Others will disagree but that is my experience.

Mike

I agree with Mike on this one as well.

If you are like many of us and observe from your light polluted back garden your go-to will centre your object but when you peer down the eyepiece there's nothing there.

This is because your 130mm of aperture has not got the last grasp to detect say M27 then a 200mm lightbucket has.

Larger aperture scopes certainly bring out more objects especially from a darker site.

Of course if you are lucky enough to see the Milky Way at night then the above isn't so important.

My vote would be for a the 200mm Skyliner F5.91 dobsonian, it has the best balance in my opinion.

It's large enough to enable you to see pretty much everything, focal ratio is just right for planets and deep sky, it will hold collimation well but most importantly it is still fairly portable with great light gathering power.

Not to bash the 130pm because i'm sure they are great scopes, but i can just see wanting more aperture in the near future once you realise the 130pm's limits. A large dobsonian without goto will show you far more than a smaller scope with goto.

I think the only issue I have with "debate" is the notion that GoTo is a "quick fix"? LOL. At my previous site, there were so FEW stars were visible and, whereas I DID persist with star-hopping and "push-to", Alt-Azimuth(s), I eventually "Lost the will to live". <G> My MAIN solution has been to move to my new "Mag 5"(?) site! FWIW I have recently - and STILL, acquired a NEW Skywatcher Goto - retrofitted to a MAK 127... and I LOVE it. :D

Among things I considered buying (An early "pension" means little funding!) were an HEQ5, a driven 10" Dobsonian... but I still opted for the "GoTo". Peverse? But I now wonder, in retrospect, WHY I didn't just just BUY a MAK127 GoTo at the very beginning. I still feel it would have SAVED loadsamoney "experimenting" - though doubtless "the journey" has been an education. :)

I think these little scopes w/Goto represent a "safe pair of hands", for those on modeast incomes with reasonable time and patience. Rightly or wrongly, I sense a large Dobsonions are more of a "second level" scope. It bothers me that some owners here report difficulties resolving double stars that are "easy" wih my little MAK? :p

Anyway, I would like to start a new thread re. the Skywatcher Goto - since sundry questions have now occured to me, after an admittedly, very CURSORY, trial run... Naturally, nothing is perfect? :evil4:

I get what you're saying Mike, but I'm really, really inexperienced with the night sky, and I need the guidance on this one, especially with this being my very purchase.

The thing is, though; I have already tried some simple scouting with the binoculars, and I can't say that I've been very successful at identifying anything. Light pollution isn't much of a problem, really. Without going into too much detail, I reside on the East-most part of the Amager island in Denmark, so no light pollution looking East or North. Can also easily get to a place where South should be less polluted, too.

Also, being a visual astronomer might come along the way, but for the time being, I just need a scope that's relatively user friendly and cost-effective. User friendly in my case means aid in finding my way around, at least to start with.

How do you guys identify what you are looking at? Bring along sky charts or laptops with them on it? What I've been using so far is Your Sky but I'm wondering if there's something better.

I'm still wondering about the serial port stuff by the way.

Hi Nemesis, I have a 130P Synscan GOTO. You will find that your ability to pick out stars and constellations will improve as you spend more time with your scope. Couple it with Stellarium (which works with the Skywatcher) and you will be away! Others prefer Cartes du Ciel (which also works with Skywatcher) - or you can use either program on it's own as a night sky guide. Mike, Mick and Nitram's points are all valid too - if you get the bug, you will want to see more and hanker after more aperture, but you have to start somewhere. I am satisfied with the 130mm aperture at the moment, but who knows...! :)

Hi again Nemesis,

Knowing what you are looking at can be difficult - you really want the stars to sprout labels as you point the scope at them :). Sadly, it is not that easy.

Start by finding some bright stars that you can identify using a planetarium program or a star chart (Vega, Altair, Deneb, Arcturus etc). Then have a look for some constellations - Ursa Major is the most recognisable.

If you are feeling adventurous, see if you can find Hercules - it is quite high in the SW at this time of night. Its distinguishing feature is the "keystone". If you can make out the keystone stars, point your binoculars at the area on a line from the top right star to the bottom right star about one third of the way down. You should find a small, faint fuzzy object there. This is M13 and a beautiful sight in a telescope. Once you have found it, you won't forget where it is.

To aswer your question, Stellarium and Cartes du Ciel are good, free downloadable planetarium programs. I use SkyMap Pro and also have Starry Night which I don't like (too complicated). I'm not familiar with The Sky.

Good luck with your deliberations.

Mike

Its always horses for courses. My first scope this time round was a 130PM. It was a great little scope but with only my rather poor astro navigation finding the tough stuff like M57 was always going to be hard going. Finding even fainter fuzzies was probably going to be a non starter.

Anyway on the basis that bigger is better I upgraded to an 8" on an HEQ5 (non GoTo). The bigger scope would have a better chance of finding things and once found would present more impressive views (or so I thought). The problem was that with the relatively bad light pollution and the vagaries of the weather I quickly realised that my chances of ever learning the sky with any great depth would, at the rate at which I can observe, probably take me a few hundred years. Flamsteed did it quicker but he was free every evening and paid to chart the sky.

My initial feeling was that GoTo would spoil the fun but I have since eaten a large slice of humble pie, climed off my high horse and upgraded to a GoTo mount.'

Ok setting it up can be a pain but once set up I can, at the press of a button, get round half a dozen sights and spend my time looking at them rather than spending the evening looking at nothing much.

If I had more time on my hands, and crucially, better weather I might take a different view. The fact is the 8" has only been used maybe a dozen times in just over a year. Clouds, rain and other commitments have served to reduce my time out under the stars and to get to a decent observing site is an hours journey for me.

The big scope became such a bueden I bought a small GoTo scope as a grab and go for the time when I dont have two hours to pack the big one and transport it. The small GoTo gets to the targets but the views, as you'd expect, are less thrilling than the 8" and therin lies the issue. A small GoTo can find stuff but cant show a good view, a large non-GoTo can show you the views IF you can find what your looking for.

I know everyone always says get a Dob and I dont disagree with the aperture argument but the aperture is pointless if you cant ever find anything.

The best balance for me has been the 8" on a GoTo but its relatively expensive and very bulky and obviously its not the perfect choice for everybody. I find the combination of GoTo with 8" of aperture works as the best compromise.

If I had to choose between aperture and GoTo I really dont know what I'd go for. Given the dreadful weather we have had I suspect I might place the GoTo as a higher priority. If I had endless time and could observe from my back garden I might will accept the Dob with a bigger aperture but when your observing time is limited to no more than a few hours a fortnight at the very most I had to accept at the rate I was going I;d probably never find anything that I wanted to see.

Theres a lot of factors in here really - do you need to be portable, do you have time to learn the sky, do you have the weather that would allow you to learn the sky etc. All of these are factors in whats a tough decision for sure.

The best balance for me has been the 8" on a GoTo but its relatively expensive and very bulky and obviously its not the perfect choice for everybody. I find the combination of GoTo with 8" of aperture works as the best compromise.

I agree. An 8" GoTo works for me.

(But it's awkward to carry).

Astrobaby is usually right though.

She knows, you know!:)

Theres a lot of factors in here really - do you need to be portable, do you have time to learn the sky, do you have the weather that would allow you to learn the sky etc. All of these are factors in whats a tough decision for sure.
Thanks AB! As ever, having "spoken out", I almost feared to return. <joking> LOL. But there are many issues... How healthy are you (financially & physically). And INDEED, what is the basic limiting magnituded at your site! Can you "escape to the country" - Not everyone can. Can you store a BIG scope etc. What about the views of "'[H]er indoors" (doubtless and equally, HIM!) etc. :)

In my first excursion into GoTo, I am rather impressed thoughbut. And, if I were (professionally) cynical about anything, it would be re. computer hardware/software. But, as I explore my new Skywatcher mount's facilities - not "perfect", but I have to say... "Gosh that's clever!". It even suggests a LIST of brighter, visible sights etc. :)

It does seem to me that there is (for me personally) an imperative for an area of "hard standing" for this thing. A decidedly soggy LAWN (and yet more rain in prospect) isn't exactly helping accurate initial alignment...

As ever, having "spoken out", I almost feared to return. <joking>

Don't feel that way, not even in jest. Nemesis asked for advice and we have each given the best advice we can. The more opinions he gets, the more informed the choice he can make.

I have to say though, that I'm really impressed that a cat has such a knowledge of astronomy. :) I bet you don't have my problem of mice rustling the undergrowth while you are observing.

Mike

Don't feel that way, not even in jest.
OK! I did think I might have been a "tad abrupt", but then one should presume how one is perceived. <G> Thanks for the friendly comments! I do find these reasoned discussions fun and informative. :)

Aside: Now, if I were really a cat, I think I'd climb up to a (just spotted) neighbour's "security" light and chew through the wretched cable... I sense such might also be a temporary thwarting of plans. :)

Seriously, don't buy a GOTO. Most of your money will be tied up in the electronic gizmos that make it tick. If you really, truely live in skies without light pollution, then you don't need a GOTO.

Spend your money on a good starter scope (and there ane none better than the 130pm). Use the rest of your budget to invest in some additional EPs, a few filters, a planisphere and a good star chart. Also download Cartes du Ceil or Stellarium (sic, however it's spelt!)

There are few things in life as satisfying as finding your way round the skies all by yourself, and with skies lacking in light pollution, you have a head start on most of us.

The motor on the 130pm will allow you to track items whe you've found them, without all that hassle of having to keep nuding a the OTA into place and waiting for for the vibrations to calm down.

Later on, if you want to invest in serious kit or take up astrophotgraphy then look into gizzmos and all that. FTB, be grateful for you clear skies and learn your way round. you'll be thankful in later life that you have done!

Don't forget that the 130pm come highly rated by such luminaries as SPM himself. It is a great all round scope, will give you exceelent views of pretty much everything out there. In addition, it's easy to cart around and can be set up in next to no time. Quick polar align and away you go.

GOTO scope take more time to set up and you need a hefty o/s power source (batteries don't cut it).

I would say take your time with the sky, it will become familiar and when you find things yourself it is so rewarding. Buy turn left at Orion to help you locate the key initial special objects. Buy the biggest dob you can afford. You will really want something bigger very quickly...I bought a 4 inch then a 5.1 and then a 6 and now I have a 10 and its only a year.

Mark

I've only just started observing the sky and last night found Bode's Galaxy and the Cigar Galaxy (M81 and M82) which are right next to each other. It took about me just under an hour or so to find them but the feeling of achievement is amazing. As I only have a 110mm aperture scope they are very, very faint (very bad light pollution where I am). I used Starmap Pro on the ipod to 'star hop' which is excellent for this as it shows you the reversed eyepiece view.

I'd definately get a big dob if I could afford it, otherwise it seems like a lot of money to spend on looking at faint smudges in the sky!

Oh I wasn'r dissing the 130PM - I had one myself and its a fabulous little scope. If I had house space I'd have kept it.

I came back to the hobby believing my astro skills were a lot better than they actually are so I felt I didn't need GoTo. As I said though when you realise your only going to get good weather a few nights of each month and you are faced with other demands on your time which may just mean that when the weathers good you cant go out and observe then GoTo starts to look more sensible.

For me I have gotten to use the big scope a lot more since upgrading it to GoTo. In part thats because the weather has improved but its also because I stand a chance of seeing something as well. Its hard to stay motivated lugging a big scope around and driving for 2 hours if you dont get to see much.

With that said I dont really have a limiting budget as such - only a budget I choose to impose. OK I cant go and buy a Planewave on a monster robotic mount but hey ho - even if I could I couldnt transport it.

The 130PM is a good starter scope - you'll learn a lot for sure and if you have the time and good skies you probably can get by without GoTo.

Certainly a very small scope with GoTo like the ETX70 I would think would be a real non starter but with the prices of a 130 on an Alt-Az Got being pretty cheap I'd reckon its a good compromise between performance and useability.

Part of the problem of ever advising another newbie is the fcat that scopes have so many 'issues' and until your using something its hard to know which issues you can live with and which are a nightmare. Some people hate the fact that an EQ mount will mean the eyepiece is always in the wrong poistion (its always the wrong position no matter which way you point the scope :)) some people hate the idea of constantly nudging a DOb about (I'm one of them), other people will find an Alt-Az mount too limiting of they want to take pics etc. Its very hard to assign any balance to these issues until you are using the thing.

We have all seen people buy small GoTos who found it knocked the challenge out and they got bored, we've also seen people buy Dobs and get disheartened by the fact that they cant find anything and of course some people buy a huge scope and then find its too heavy to lug about.

Its a real headache and if you cant get to an observing evening and test other peopls stuff out its an impossible choice for the beginner. Just glad I am not having to make it.

MacCavity, MacCavity theres no one like MacCavity for he's a fiend with feline face, a monster of depravity......:)

Its chilled here MacCavity the mods here wont allow flame wars and people getting nasty so feel free to spak your mind. I agree with what was said that its your opnion but its all valuable input to a beginner. They dont have to take advice but it wouldnt do if we all had the same mind.

Archived