SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Huddersfield!

Earthshine

This is just a quickie to say hello to everybody :-)

My name is Mike and I was a very keen young Astronomer over 20 years ago but regrettably, somewhere down the line, I just lost interest.

I only ever had 10x50 Bins but at the time I had a decent knowledge of the sky! I also enjoyed views of the heavens through larger telescopes at my local Astronomical Society.

Anyway, early last year I was suddenly (without any warning) taken seriously ill and during my recovery period I caught the Astronomy bug again... Big Time! I also started playing guitar again after a 20 year break but that's another story. Well, I'm now fully recovered (running/weight training every day!) and I appear to have gained a new outlook about life.

I know all the rules, recommendations and advice regarding buying a telescope but I have this massive gut feeling to buy the best I can afford and also to have something to share the beauty of the heavens with the family!

The scope I've set my heart on is the Celestron CPC 800 GPS and I thought I'd like some Meade Series 5000 Ultra Wide Angle Eyepieces and a 2x Barlow - I know it's a lot of money but I guess I'm trying to make up for lost time. Anyway, an average car depreciates more than the telescope value in 1 or 2 years.

Well, that's my story and I hope to be a active contributor to this fantastic forum!

Kindest regards

Hi. Mike,

Once an astronomer, always an astronomer. It's a way of life. One might think it leaves them, but it is embedded in the soul, and un shiftable.:) Anyway, welcome back into the fold, and a special welcome from the worlds best Astro Forum.

Help is only a question away.:headbang:

Ron.

Thanks ron.sg - In fact, I only noticed last week (went out with my Bins for the first time in years) that the council had erected a street lamp in the back lane which runs past my garden. The unpolluted skies I enjoyed as a youngster are no more. I'm hoping it won't effect the brigter stuff with my new scope (when I get it) but Deep Sky Objects will be a no go. Of course I'm disappointed but I guess the light is there for the safety of people walking through there at night - One day I hope the lamp will have motion sensors fitted to give me a 'window' of viewing pleasure!

Hi Mike - good story and like so many people would confirm, once you point a scope up at the stars it sort of gets to you. Pleased to hear you returned to the hobby and good luck with that running - pounding pavements is a great way to plan what you're planning to observe !

Archived