Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging, which mount?

I'm sure there's plenty of people who are sick of reading these threads, but after reading through a ton of 'em myself over the past few weeks, I still can't decide which mount is best for me.

Right now, I've got an 8" f6 newt and am looking to have a bash at imaging. I plan on doing a fair bit of imaging away from home and want to add a small refractor to my collection at some point to have as portable a set-up as possible. Now, I know the HEQ5 pro takes an 8" f5 reflector + small guidescope, but what about my 8" f6 + small guidescope? Am i asking too much? From what I've read 8" is fine for a HEQ5 but 10" is too much but the 8" in question is usually an f5, as apose to my longer f6, so I feel like I'm stuck in the middle.

If I moved up to an eq6 pro, I know I'd be fine, my problem with the eq6, other than the step up in price, is the weight and portability, of the thing. While most of my imaging would be done from home, I plan on getting out to dark sites as much as possible and I can't really see that happening as often with the eq6, whereas the HEQ5 + a small refractor or two seems fairly managable. That said, I don't have any small refractors right now and also don't plan on selling the 8" newt anytime soon so still want a mount that can support it + small guidescope for imaging from home.

Initially I was looking at the astrotrac as it would be perfect for portability but again, it seems a shame to have an 8" newt and not be able to use it for imaging because my mount is not up to the job. So I'm hoping the HEQ5 can give me the best of both worlds and keep everything affordable. I don't expect to ever go bigger than the 8" newt, unless I go much bigger.

Ideally I'd have both eq6 and heq5, but thats not gonna happen anytime soon, so I'm stuck with what seems like an impossible choice right now.

So, what do people think? Can a HEQ5 pro handle my 8" newt + potential guidescope or am I asking too much? If it can't I'm left with the EQ6 which is not gonna be to portable, Astrotrac which is nice and portable but not gonna cope with much weight or get the HEQ5 for its versatility and couple it with scopes other than my 8" newt.

Opinions & advice always appreciated.:icon_salut:

Well I have an HEQ5 and mount an 8" F6 Newt and ED80 along with Meade DSI (For guiding) and DSLR with no problems. The HEQ5 can take a lot of weight, ok not as much as an EQ6 but I think it would handle what you want to throw at it!

The HEQ5 will be at the edge of it's operating envelope with your 8" AND a guide 'scope. You mention that you want a small refractor anyway and that with a guide 'scope would be just fine on the HEQ5 mount giving you easier portability yet a solid mounting for DSO imaging and even an 80mm refractor will capture some great DSO images.

Portable as in take-on-plane or as in put-in-car? EQ6 is for the latter option only.

Mainly in car, possibly on plane, but much less likley. But also I'm thinking portability with respect to carrying it any distance for set-up. From home I'd be setting-up right outside my house, so no problem there. But I spend a fair time at a place in cornwall and the bottom of the garden is a fair walk and thats the only place I could set-up from. My thinking is the HEQ5 would be less to lug down there than the EQ6.

Well I have an HEQ5 and mount an 8" F6 Newt and ED80 along with Meade DSI (For guiding) and DSLR with no problems. The HEQ5 can take a lot of weight, ok not as much as an EQ6 but I think it would handle what you want to throw at it!

That's encouraging to know. Like I said, I've read plenty of people using 8" f5 but couldn't really find anyone using f6 for imaging. :icon_salut:

The HEQ5 will be at the edge of it's operating envelope with your 8" AND a guide 'scope. You mention that you want a small refractor anyway and that with a guide 'scope would be just fine on the HEQ5 mount giving you easier portability yet a solid mounting for DSO imaging and even an 80mm refractor will capture some great DSO images.

I guess I'm just trying to cover as many bases as possible. Eventually I hope to have a few small refractors so I can image and guide with anything and keep it all lightweight for when I need it to be, but having the 8" for visual and not being able to use it for imaging would be a shame.... I know I'm asking for everything and can't have it all, its just about trying to decide where to compromise.

When you get an HEQ5 you realise it's a bit step up from an EQ5, it's a beefy mount... Sure not up to an EQ6 but it can still take a decent load on it. I am planning to stick an 8" SCT and guide scope on mine soon and I am sure it wil cope ok

The usual rule of thumb when choosing a mount for imaging is to halve the rated visual payload so I'd agree with Steve here about a HEQ5 just being able to cope with your planned setup, and guidescope would have to small and light. Something like a William Optics ZS66 or a Short Tube 80. An EQ6 would be a far better bet. But if you're planning of buying a couple of small(ish) refractors the HEQ5 would be fine. Even though I've got an EQ6, my imaging kit (ZS66 & FLT98 plus cameras, filter wheel etc etc) would sit on a HEQ5 happily.

Tony..

Hi, I've only just started imaging and I was very thoughtfull at getting an EQ6 to start with. You just dont know at the start how much gear you need to put on the mount. I started with a SW 10" F4.7 OTA and finder then a small guidescope (modded finder) + 2 cameras and the OTA fan controller and later I'll need dew shields and controller.

The 3 counterweights I have started some where in the middle of the bar but are now near the end to balence the OTA. I can see a day when I'll outgrow the webcams and want a dslr and thats a hefty bit of kit on it's own.

Unless you go for the smaller SCT's I think you'll be better off with an EQ6.

I started with a HEQ5 and it worked fine with my 8" Newt, ST80 refractor guidescope and cameras. I have since upgraded to a EQ6 (because eventually I'm going to get a 10" or 12 " scope to put on it). At the moment the 8" is on the EQ6 and it goes very well - even in windy condition whereas the HEQ5 is quite a bit smaller. I would recommend the EQ6 if you've got the cash (the pro or syntrek version), if it's a bit too much then you'll be fine with the HEQ5 (pro or syntrek) - just there's not too much room for adding stuff later on.:icon_salut:

Sam

Hi astromerlin,

I would definitely go for the EQ6. Mine is about 5 years old now, and it takes a 10 inch f4.8 newton or a 11-inch Celestron (C11) very well. The eq6 is absolutely transportable, but I give you one advice, buy (or when your a handy man make it yourself) decent crates and bags to pack everything for transport. For the EQ6 head I use a big aluminium crate lined with very strong foam. The tripod fits nicely in a padded bag that normally is used for transporting a large refractor OTA, and for the counterweights I got a small crate againg lined with very heavy foam. This way your equipment and your car will not be damaged during transport.

I've got the EQ6 Pro and it really is about the best bang for buck mount. I've set up and used the HEQ5 Pro too and I wouldn't class either as easily portable. That said, they're both perfectly manageable if you make a couple of trips carrying the bits to set the mount up and then put the OTA(s) on.

I've taken my EQ6 Pro to Kielder and Salisbury, it hardly takes up any room compared to all the other camping and Astro stuff I take :icon_salut:

My advice; if you have the money now go for the best mount you can afford, if you don't have the cash for an EQ6 Pro right now then try and grab the HEQ5 Pro off AstroBuy&Sell. You'll always be able to sell a second hand HEQ5 Pro and upgrade to a new EQ6 Pro in the future without loosing much if any money.

Ian

Hi,

I have had both mounts, and currently use an EQ6 Pro. Although the head of the eq6 is a little heavier than the heq5, it isnt massively so. Having the right case to carry the head in makes it easier to carry.

To my mind, though I love the heq5 and regret selling mine, the EQ6 is the only way to go for serious images. The tripod is a lot more sturdy.

Your other option, is ditch the guidescope and go for an off axis guider. This will save you a couple of kilos or so. I can help you with this if needs be, I have been using one for a few months now, and wouldn't consider using a guidescope again.

My choice would be to go straight for the eq6, you'll only end up wishing you had in the end.

Cheers

TJ

Archived