Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Chasing the shadow

Astronut

I was half-asleep parked up in my truck on Wednesday night when my mobile rang. It was my cousin from Vancouver with the news that herself and husband are going on the cruise from Beijing to see the total eclipse and they'd booked a 3-berth cabin and thought I'd like to join them. Do bears **** in the woods? :(

There's a good discount on the fare for the 3rd person in the cabin so I'm going cheap.

I checked with my boss the next day for time off work and as I've only got 13 days holiday left this year I'll have to take an extra week off unpaid but he's amenable to me taking the required 3 weeks off for this once-in-a-lifetime trip :)

Today, I've booked the return flight from Manchester to Beijing (surprisingly cheap too including long stay parking at the airport + travel insurance) so all I have to do now is apply for a double-entry Chinese visa and I'm sorted.

I leave from Manchester on Sun 12 Jul to meet up with my cousins in Beijing and fly back on the 30th.

(a few extra days at the start and end of the cruise to take in the great wall, terracotta army, forbidden city, etc)

Lots of other things to do/sort out before then of course :) (baader solar film, lots of sunblock lotion, etc - it's going to be damned hot out there)

I've seen this advertised in the mags for months now but never dreamed I'd be going. It's going to blow my astro gear budget but I couldn't care less :brave: Bonus is the trip takes in sightseeing in China, South Korea and 2 destinations in Japan.

full details here:

2009 Eclipse Cruise - Ship Details

To quote George from Blackadder IV - "I am as excited as a very excited person who's got a special reason to be excited" :cool:

YEEHAH!!! :o:D:D

Astronut, I feel alot of fellow SGLers may see their green-eyed monster rear it's ugly head at your post! I am so pleased for you - this is a fantastic opportunity. It is great you can make time for the 'touristy' bits too - it is truly a once in a lifetime trip.

Take lots of photos, I'm sure we'd all love to have a nose :cool:

Just looking at the itinerary of the trip, the 'series of lectures about the region, the eclipse and astronomy' on 18th July look brilliant

Soak it up, enjoy yourself.. Blackadder's George got it spot on :)

Amanda

I was in 2 minds whether to keep this quiet but I couldn't help myself - sorry. I still can't quite believe I'm going. I was really disappointed with the 1999 eclipse in Devon (total cloud cover) and had resigned myself to never getting another chance to see another one. At over 6 and a half minutes totality, I would have been insane to turn the chance down. It's going to be awesome.

I'll be taking lots of photos of the trip - I may even get a couple of photos of the eclipse itself but I only have a Fujifilm 6900Z camera and I probably won't be taking a tripod.

I'm definately taking my Canon IS 15x50's with me though so I need to make a filter with some Baader solar film for the partial phases.

Wow, Ian, that's just a wonderful trip - what fantastic cousins you have! That will indeed be the trip of a lifetime:hello2:

Those lovely Canon binos of yours should be just the job - I can't see the dob going as hand luggage somehow:D!

Enjoy! and tell us all about it (with pics) when you are back!

I briefly considered taking the 22x85's and the tripod but I like to travel as light as possible, besides there'll be some movement from the ship's deck and the sun will be at an altitude of around 80-85 degrees (thinking of my neck here :) ) - lying on my back with the Canons will be ideal :cool:

Don't think I'll be taking my laptop either but I might change my mind if there's a wifi hotspot on the ship. Not sure about doing a blog but if I do decide to take it (depending on tinternet access) then I'll post here as usual.

As a veteran of 5 eclipses with 3 being scored I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you Astronut. I just hope it happens at a time when I can view it on the TV or webcast. It will add to the excitement knowing that you are there.

Eclipses are addictive, it could cost you more that you imagine :cool:

I forgot to add this very good piece of advice that was given to me by an eclipse veteran.

Don't try photographing your first eclipse, enjoy it visually, look for shadow bands prominences etc.

When I was in India in 1994, the eclipse came to an unexpected end 10 seconds before the calculated finish time. The guy beside me spent all his time fiddling with his camera, hardly looked at the eclipse, then notice after the end of totality he still had his ND4 filter on. He didn't see much of anything of the eclipse so beware

--

Martyn.

Oh wow, Ian.

You are going to have the best time.

Good for you for seizing the opportunity.

You obviously prefer to accumulate experiences rather than things.

I like that.

I hope you have a lovely, lovely time with your cousins.

:icon_salut:

p.s. a blog sounds like hard work to me, when you should be concentrating on the fun...

It's a wonderful opportunity! Congratulations. I think you are going to be very busy trying to see everything at once when the eclipse is hapenning, but it will be an experience to last all your life. I hope you have the best possible time!:icon_salut:

Well done Astronut, China is a beautiful place once you get out of the city side of it all. Dont forget on your visa to includeyour middle name if you have one. I was kept for 4hours at the Hong Kong border the last time I went as they argued over the non inclusion of my middle name. Hope you love food, as the saying goes, if it moves, eat it. Cant wait for the photos.

Food in China is interesting, to say the least.

I've spent some time out there on business.

Appetizers on the menu included:

A meal entirely consisting of bird's feet, including, ducks and swans.

Live (big!) prawns.

Jellyfish.

Raw fish eyes.

Water beetles.

Sea slug.

Horse *****.

Shark's fin soup - immoral and disgusting.

Snake.

After 2 weeks I would have sold my grandmother for a steak and chips. I was finally offered a roast chicken - looked beautiful. The waiter carved off all the lean meat...

...and threw it away!!! They then served the carcass, chopped into bits. A mouthful of chicken bone splinters. Mmmmm..

I like "English" Chinese food. Real Chinese food is an entirely different matter. the best food I had in China was the cheap'n'chearful noodles etc.

I don't imagine you'll get much of this sort of thing on a cruise. It's amusing at first, and I'm quite liberal in my tastes, but after a while, it all gets a bit much....

Badgers' noses?

Otters' spleens?

Wolf nipple chips?

Get 'em while they're hot, they're lovely!

(Little did I think that Graheme Chapman would be describing Jarndyce's Chinese eating experience!)

Got the return flight booked last weekend - surprisingly cheap considering the time of year - £380! :icon_salut::cool:. I was expecting prices to be not much less than a grand so I added travel insurance + airport car parking to it.

China Southern Airlines (never flown with them before) from Manchester to Beijing with a plane swap in Amsterdam.

Chinese visa application + passport + debit card payment authorisation is in the post as of this morning.

I've been working through my list of things to do/get and so far I've got objective caps for the Canon bins (at last), new rechargable batteries and extra memory cards (I've got a feeling I'm going to get snap-happy on this trip) for my trusty Fujifilm 6900Z camera, a little Maplins flight case (for a tenner!) for the binos (they'll be my hand luggage) and Baader solar film from FLO.

Now I need to make some filters with the film and figure out a way of packing them safely (tupperware might be good), carve out the foam in the little flight case and its looking like I'll have to splash out a bit on some smart casual clothes - ohnoes:eek:. I refuse to take a suit or tux for the formal nights on the cruise though - I draw the line on dress codes. I'd sooner starve than wear a tie :):D

I've been reading up on cruise dress codes and the word is Costa cruises aren't as strict about it as other cruise lines although I've picked up various rumours on 'tinternet that jeans, t-shirts and baseball caps are discouraged in the restaurants which doesn't sit well with me - that's my entire wardrobe :headbang::D

Wow Ian! You've got to buy clothes! How exciting!:cool:

What about that thin polo sweater/single breasted jacket look that Sean Connery always used to look so gorgeous in?

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Celebrities/S_Z/Se_Sh/Sean_Connery/1/sean_connery02.jpg

You never know...you might pull a Catherine Zeta Jones look-alike wearing that!:headbang:

Or if that doesn't appeal, maybe you could go for Connery's more attention-grabbing Zardoz outfit?!

http://www.vintagehawaiianshirt.net/jenebay/NO!.jpg

Poor Ian. I can tell you're not looking forward to buying your new kit at all. I'd be in a frenzy...

But you can't get the pleasure without the pain first, eh?:icon_salut:

Clothes shopping is not something I do too often as I have no clue in that department :icon_salut: T-shirts and jeans from Matalan is usually my thing :D

If I get that Zardoz gear I'd have to ditch the gun :cool: - might turn a few heads though :headbang: On second thoughts I'll leave that one on Connery :)

Congratulations on a great opportunity Ian. Enjoy the anticipation, and the event. After that, enjoy everything else.

I too went to Devon in 1999 and saw nowt. I would hope to get another chance but barring a lottery win, it seems unlikely.

I'm delighted for you mate. What a trip you have in store.

Terracotta Warriors, Great Wall, Forbidden City. Oh man, superb stuiff.

Ron.:icon_salut:

Ian - what about this cool 'man-matches-his-telescope' look?

Alan Friedman/ astronomy fashion crimes/ June 2008

Barkis is right about the opportunities...Forbidden opportunities...

Watch out for those terracotta warriors...one day someone will hook them all up to a computer or a Playstation handset and then we'll all be in trouble...

Ian - what about this cool 'man-matches-his-telescope' look?

Alan Friedman/ astronomy fashion crimes/ June 2008

Barkis is right about the opportunities...Forbidden opportunities...

Watch out for those terracotta warriors...one day someone will hook them all up to a computer or a Playstation handset and then we'll all be in trouble...

That guy's a poseur :D

I'll have that 'scope though :)

Just got an email from BC - we're booked into the Beijing Hilton (über posh :):)) for 5 nights before the cruise (4 for me as I arrive the day after them) with a 'Jinshanling and Simatai Great Wall tour' thrown in. :p

• 1 month later...

Ian flew out to Beijing yesterday...(not that I'm jealous, mind...!) :)

He's probably slipping into his newly-acquired smart-casuals as we speak...

Never mind...I'd much rather be in the beautiful Black Country(!) :)

Archived