My sketches of comet C/2023 A3 Tsuchinshan-ATLAS

Nicola Fletcher

These sketches were based on my observations of comet C/2023 A3 on 14th October 2024. This was the first clear night for me after 12th, when the comet was visible early after sunset. I tried to see it on 12th, but there was a bank of low cloud at the horizon that I think must have obscured it. On 14th, I was in position at sunset, noted where the sun set and then found the comet in 10 x 50mm binoculars between Arcturus and Venus. As it got darker and Venus set, the comet became more and more spectacular, until it was an obvious naked eye object with a long tail. For about 30 minutes (I was doing a lot of jumping up and down, howling with excitement, so these times are approximate!), I alternated between binocular views and naked eye views of the comet. It was absolutely amazing from the Wicklow Mountains National Park at the Sally Gap in Co. Wicklow, Ireland, with only one point of light on the horizon from the Turlough Hill hydroelectric plant. 

I was not sure if the landscape picture would work. but I think it is ok. Both sketches were done using pastel pencils, chalk pastels ground on sandpaper and applied with paintbrushes and a white pen to mark the brightest stars.

doc08171720241021124502_001.thumb.jpeg.52ae34e87fde1f675379408ba6aec1a1.jpegdoc08171620241021124440_001.thumb.jpeg.3ac68c48ef7637164b661383072cd1a5.jpeg

• Like 23

4 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Wonderful sketches Nicola..and based on what you were seeing with MK1 eyeballs rather than electronic chips!!👍🤗

Dave

Thank you Dave! I have dabbled a little with widefield astrophotography, but nothing beats pure visual and sometimes making sketches. The sketches are really nice to look back on, and remind me of the magic of the nights I sat outside sketching and observing in my own time, contemplating how incredible the universe is. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

The landscape one is incredibly evocative. It reminds me somewhat of the cover of the original version of Starlight Nights.

That early evening sky, full of great promise of a wonderful night ahead, is very alluring. 

Jeremy, you're right, it does look a little like Leslie Peltier's cover illustration! His is absolutely wonderful and he was a gifted artist, much better than me. I will never forget the magic of seeing the comet become visible in the sky as it darkened. The National Park is a beautiful place at any time, but it was especially beautiful that night. 

• Like 3